LeEco could be the first to announce a Snapdragon 823-powered smartphone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The next batch of flagship smartphones are expected to be powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 823 SoC. Leading the pack, if rumors pan out, could be Chinese-based smartphone manufacturer LeEco (formerly Letv).

According to Chinese media (via WCCF Tech), LeEco is working on an Android smartphone powered by the Snapdragon 823 that’ll be unveiled later this month at Mobile World Congress Shanghai (June 29 through July 1). The device will reportedly carry an Adreno 530 GPU, an X12 LTE baseband and Cat.12 / 13 LTE modem support.

Although unconfirmed, the publication speculates that LeEco’s handset could be the first to ship with 8GB of LPDDR4 RAM and a 25-megapixel camera sensor.

The Snapdragon 823 will reportedly be built on the 14-nanometer FinFET manufacturing process with LeEco’s device shipping with a dual-core 2.15GHz and dual-core 1.6GHz configuration. Power consumption may be an issue for LeEco although hopefully, LeEco will load the phone with a sizable pack to deliver respectable runtime.

If LeEco is the first to announce a Snapdragon 823-powered phone, it may not mean very much if it never comes to market. As Digital Trends recounts, the company was also the first to announce a handset powered by the Snapdragon 820 – the Le Max Pro – but that phone never made it to market.

Permalink to story.

This more powerful chip race is about as silly as the megapixel race was a few years ago.
What's the need to have more and more powerful processors?
They all will run the same apps. The more and more powerful processors are nothing more than
to run benchmark programs for bragging rights, but, hey, it's YOUR money.

This more powerful chip race is about as silly as the megapixel race was a few years ago.
They all will run the same apps. The more and more powerful processors are nothing more than
well, in my defence, I can buy a new incredibly powerful phone because my old one broke for a really low price. I'm currently waiting to see how good the Xiaomi Mi5 Prime is when it arrives for my brother this week.

I believe it also uses much less power, but I could be wrong. I have been once before.

You're right and, more over, 640K of memory should be enough for anybody.

I believe it also uses much less power, but I could be wrong. I have been once before.
No. You only thought you may be wrong. It later turned out you weren't. I know the feeling. :)

Android is very poorly optimized. Almost as bad as Windows Vista was at its release. Look at the iphone it has a dual core processor and runs very smoothly (optimized). Android and iOS are very different OS but a dual core to a quad/hexa core is a big jump in processing power.

Look at Windows again, the required specs haven't changed from Vista's release which was almost a decade ago (November 2006). What computer/technological stuff do you still have from that time that runs/works similar to new stuff? Anything?

Android is very poorly optimized. Almost as bad as Windows Vista was at its release. Look at the iphone it has a dual core processor and runs very smoothly (optimized). Android and iOS are very different OS but a dual core to a quad/hexa core is a big jump in processing power.

Look at Windows again, the required specs haven't changed from Vista's release which was almost a decade ago (November 2006). What computer/technological stuff do you still have from that time that runs/works similar to new stuff? Anything?

Poorly optimized? I must have gotten one that was optimized perfectly. <G> The default manufacture software on my phone is smooth with very little lag, and it's only an SD400 chip, 720p screen. Granted, I use Nova Launcher Prime, but it's been smooth sailing for over 2 years.

You're right and, more over, 640K of memory should be enough for anybody.
Yep, use a quote from around 30 years ago....
My question is, what benefit, from all this horsepower (not including benchmark programs). Real world performance.
The apps today, can run on pretty much 4.x through 6.x So a person can launch angry birds, chrome, twitter 0.0034 seconds faster than someone with an older phone. My phone must be optimized very well, running an SD400 processor, Nova Launcher prime. Last year, one of my coworkers was showing me the benchmark scores on his Nexus 6, trying to get me to show the benchmark score on my phone. Told him I've never run one. So, I did, with predicable results. The N6 blew my Huawei Ascend Mate2 out of the water. Duh!
So I tried something. We found 4-5 of the same apps on his phone, that I had on my phone. We rebooted both phones, let them sit for about a minute after booting and then launched the apps & ran the programs (not games). Maybe a blink of an eye difference in launching. Both scrolled smoothly, responded pretty much the same.
A couple weeks later, he was back to his older phone and I asked him why. He said it wasn't worth what he had to pay, for the N6, when his phone and my less than $300 dollar phone, performed the same.

Back