Lego's massive Imperial Star Destroyer arrives in October with 4,700 pieces

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The product’s description on Lego’s site references swiveling guns, huge engine exhausts, intricate surface detailing and even a tilting radar dish. Buyers also get a buildable scale version of the Rebels’ Tantive IV starship, a display stand with informational fact plaque and two Imperial mini figures.

The Lego Group on Thursday unveiled a brand new entry in its popular Star Wars series. The Imperial Star Destroyer – Ultimate Collector Series item # 75252 – is a 4,784-piece set that captures authentic details of the starship as it appeared in the opening scene of Star Wars: A New Hope.

On the stand, the model measures over 17 inches high, 43 inches long and 26 inches wide. Think about that for a moment – it’s dangerously close to four feet long!

I haven’t tinkered with Legos since I was a kid so forgive my ignorance here but at 4,784 pieces, just how long would it take to assemble something like this? Are we talking hours, days or weeks? After all, it is recommended for ages 16 and older. Feel free to let me know in the comments section below.

The Imperial Star Destroyer will be available exclusively to Lego VIP members from September 18 and launches in general availability on October 1. It won’t come cheap at $699.99 but if you’re a diehard Star Wars fan or have an extra special person on your shopping list this holiday season, it may be a worthwhile purchase.

Permalink to story.

I've collected a few Lego builds over the years, but this is really getting close to the absurd category. You'd have to be some sort of combination Lego/Star Wars nut to want this. Especially at $700 a pop.

As far as how long it would take to build, I have a Saturn V Lego rocket that had 1969 (get it? 1969...) pieces. And took about 12-14 hours to finish. Here's a video of Adam Savage from "Myth Busters" putting together one:

I haven’t tinkered with Legos since I was a kid so forgive my ignorance here but at 4,784 pieces, just how long would it take to assemble something like this?

A friend of mine got the Ultimate Collection Millennium Falcon (5197 pieces) last Christmas. I will get back to you when I hear from him.

UPDATE: His response was 4 or 5 days

Last edited:
I've collected a few Lego builds over the years, but this is really getting close to the absurd category. You'd have to be some sort of combination Lego/Star Wars nut to want this. Especially at $700 a pop.

As far as how long it would take to build, I have a Saturn V Lego rocket that had 1969 (get it? 1969...) pieces. And took about 12-14 hours to finish. Here's a video of Adam Savage from "Myth Busters" putting together one:

12-14 hours?? I built mine in like 4.

I have thick fingers and it's hell trying to put some of the tiny pieces together...LOL.

I have thick fingers and it's hell trying to put some of the tiny pieces together...LOL.

Ah well, that's unfortunate lol. I am a sucker for these so... I am probably going to be part of the group of people who will buy one. I also want the Millennium Falcon.

Close to 15 cents per piece! That is not cheap. Average is 10.4 last time I checked and throw in the fact this is 4700 pieces, ouch. Nothing like paying more for bulk, and for brand...

Close to 15 cents per piece! That is not cheap. Average is 10.4 last time I checked and throw in the fact this is 4700 pieces, ouch. Nothing like paying more for bulk, and for brand...
Yeah but, on average, how much bigger are the pieces (and complexity can come into play). Can't complain about that stat without giving it some context.

Aaaaand this will be my life now...

is the only thing I can think of when looking at that ship.

OK... I'm a LEGO aficionado and I own many of the Star Wars UCS sets... The Millenium Falcon from a couple years ago (which I have) was 7,541 pieces - took me about 10 days to build... but I was also working for the first week or so and only able to spend 2 hours or so a day until the end. The "original" Millenium Falcon was released in 2007 and had 5,197 pieces - it's a bit different than mine, but not worth buying both (especially since getting a discontinued LEGO UCS Falcon would cost a small fortune!).

As for this build, the Imperial Star Destroyer had already been released back in 2002 and had about 3,100 pieces (I own it as well). I'm sure the new one is a bit better (they've re-released the Death Star as well) but once you own the old one, buying the new one seems wasteful.

I am a school-teacher, and took many photos of the builds and made a "music video" of both the Millenium Falcon and Lego Star Destroyers (I combined both the Imperial and Executor Super Star Destroyer in the second video). Feel free to watch and slam me for having no life - I'm currently in the process of creating a music video for the Lego Death Star and Death Star II!

Of course, the main reason I wouldn't buy this is simply because my wife would probably divorce me if I did...

Edit: Yes, that IS me singing (badly) in both music videos :)

This concerns me. Will the landfills be able to handle this trash?

Unless Lego themselves are throwing any of these into the trash, I don't see these ending up in any landfill. These are highly collectable and once they are discontinued, the second hand market price will skyrocket.

I haven’t tinkered with Legos since I was a kid so forgive my ignorance here but at 4,784 pieces, just how long would it take to assemble something like this?

A friend of mine got the Ultimate Collection Millennium Falcon (5197 pieces) last Christmas. I will get back to you when I hear from him.

UPDATE: His response was 4 or 5 days

You asked how long would it take to assemble it. And then you mentioned it says: "16+ years" on the box. There's your answer!

You asked how long would it take to assemble it. And then you mentioned it says: "16+ years" on the box. There's your answer!
lol... that's just the recommended age of the assembler :)

Saying that, I suspect that almost everyone purchasing this will be an adult... some will pretend it's "for the children", but we know better!

Back