Leica's new M10 Monochrom is only for those interested in shooting black and white stills

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Leica has even gone so far as to remove its iconic red dot logo from the front of the camera and color-filled engravings for a very minimalist look. The design element further enhances the black and white character of the camera, we’re told.

German camera manufacturer Leica on Friday introduced the M10 Monochrom, a camera for niche photographers only interested in shooting in black and white.

Leica’s third generation Monochrom, the M10 features a newly developed 40-megapixel sensor. The company’s earlier offerings in the line, original M Monochrom and the M Monochrom (Typ 246), utilized modified versions of the color image sensors from other M products but this one was purpose built for this specific camera.

Elsewhere, you’ll find a wide ISO range of 160 to 100,000, built-in Wi-Fi connectivity and all of the trappings of a production M10-P. Leica said it features the quietest shutter release of any M-series camera ever built, making it ideal for street photography.

Notably, there aren’t any video recording capabilities. This is strictly a photo-only camera.

The Leica M10 Monochrom is compatible with all lenses in the Leica M portfolio. Look for it to arrive by the end of the month priced at $8,295 for the body.

Those interested in setting up a pre-order can do so from today over at B&H Photo.

Permalink to story.

"One giant leap forward for Leica into your pocketbook, one giant leap backward for photography".

(With apologies to them thar moon landing guys).

Well, Leica's one of the few camera's that actually live up to their over blown price. They have the only lenses that regularly out shined Hassiblad's premier lenses and the mechanic's of their camera's was absolutely flawless (lost one in Alaska that was found 3 months later, picked it up and it was fully functioned ... now that's dependability). I love them, had three at one point but finally sold them off and just can't jusify spending that much with so many of the top of the line DSLR's have such great performance ......

I'm sure some talented soul will spring for one of these and become, "the 35 mm Ansel Adams". But for those of us on a fixed income, and don't feel like taking out a 2nd mortgage, pass.

As an old school photographer, I get the nostalgia for Ansel Adams and others who created such stunning black and white images. But Adams did great work in a variety of film formats. He wrote that his technique could be applied with virtually any adjustable camera.

Over $8,000, body only? This is a Rolex watch.

As an old school photographer, I get the nostalgia for Ansel Adams and others who created such stunning black and white images.
As do I.

But Adams did great work in a variety of film formats. He wrote that his technique could be applied with virtually any adjustable camera.
But a large, (and probably most famous) landscape portion of it. was achieved by lugging around an 8" x 10" view camera.

My admittedly abstract comparison was based in the idea that with modern top shelf lenses, and the high resolution as well as the expanded contrast ratios of of digital sensors, you could likely rival that of a 1920 something much larger view camera. Now all this New Leica needs, is the likely $10,000++ perspective control lens to go with it

Over $8,000, body only? This is a Rolex watch.
If I had eight grand to piss away, I'd take the camera, and allow someone else to capitalize of the "presumed status", of owning a Rolex. If I even wore a watch, it would be a Timex or a Casio.

You don't even need a watch if you own a smartphone. (Although Apple aficionados haven\t quite gotten that figured out yet).

Back