Leisure Suit Larry creator Al Lowe is selling his source code collection

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Al Lowe, the video game designer and programmer best known for creating the Leisure Suit Larry series, is auctioning off his collection of source code for several of his games.

As of writing, Lowe – who was employee number 20 at Sierra – has only posted a handful of auctions to eBay but already, they’ve attracted some serious attention. Leading the pack is the source code to Leisure Suit Larry 2 with a current high bid of $1,850. The source code for the first Larry game is up to $1,525 as of writing.

Lowe is featured in a video from YouTuber Metal Jesus Rocks in which he details much of his collection. As you’ll see, this stuff is incredibly rare. Some pieces are one-off examples.

Lowe said he backed everything up because he knew Sierra didn’t.

It’s worth noting, however, that even though you have the opportunity to own some incredibly rare stuff, purchasing the source code doesn’t grant you the intellectual property rights to any games, code, art, etc. Lowe points out in the auctions (for the Larry games) that the IP rights have been sold time and again and are currently owned by a German game company.

Permalink to story.

VitalyT

Looks like Larry lost the drive, due to decrepitude. A faithful author should carry on like Hugh Hefner did, till the last breath, never sell out.

Uncle Al

Laughable or not, I've got a couple of old 5.25 inch floppy drives here that I modified to work on my current PC. I use them for transferring code for very old customers that are still running old 8086 and 8088 based machines (yeah, they really do and refuse to upgrade!). Last year one of them stopped and when I investigated the motherboard was covered with such a thick layer of dust, dirt, and grease I couldn't see the resistors on the PCB. This was the old motherboard that I ran through the dishwasher and yep, surprisingly enough after drying it with an old blow dryer and re-installing it, it started up and is still running. I told the owner that I probably wouldn't be able to make on site calls in another 30 years (that would put me at 93) so he better start shopping around for a younger "Mr. Fixit". ....... LOL

Reactions: Reehahs

Theinsanegamer

Has he already made the source code available to others? Plenty of people that run LSL through the likes of dosbox would adore having the source code to recompile it for modern systems, specifically to get better sound quality. GoG would kill to have that I'm sure.
Few things of less worth then old software except old hardware
What a vapid statement. Why doesnt old software carry worth? Simply because its old?

EClyde

Has he already made the source code available to others? Plenty of people that run LSL through the likes of dosbox would adore having the source code to recompile it for modern systems, specifically to get better sound quality. GoG would kill to have that I'm sure.

What a vapid statement. Why doesnt old software carry worth? Simply because its old?
You're insane so I understand your post