Lenovo Erazer X700 Gaming PC Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/743-lenovo-erazer-x700/]https://www.techspot.com/review/743-lenovo-erazer-x700/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

A tidy cable management should come with the price.

I'd love to buy that case separately, though.

It might be worth noting the keyboard is a rebranded saitek eclipse II.
Which impresses me honestly, im typing on one now.

This is the one premade gaming PC ive seen that I havent instantly laughed off because of its price.

After reading and looking at the listed specs, if you just get the base one without the SSD, its not a bad deal for a gaming PC pre-built at $1290. But seriously, getting the SSD makes the price 1700???? That makes no sense....

I also don't understand why this has Sandy Bridge-E instead of Ivy Bridge-E, seems like that would have been a nice upgrade. The case itself is pretty awesome, looks really nice and like it has a lot of room to spare.

It seems to me that Lenovo have had a pretty good stab at this, and to the average customer it's probably a good deal, if a little juvenile.

However, I'm really put off by the cable management, tiny board and no-name power supply. If you own a gaming PC it's nice to be able to open it up and show it off, but I'd just be embarrassed.

thelatestmodel
Well most companies that are not like ibuypower or cyberpowerpc when making rigs use a no-name PSU and a small motherboard. That's a general thing, if you open up for instance an alienware aurora (we have a few on the site I work at for reasons im unsure of) they have some nice hardware, but the PSU just says 80+ and its wattage (800 in these cases). The motherboards are the same thing, to cut costs normally whatever the PC is bundled with to begin with, the motherboard is designed only to run with that equipment you paid for. In the past, ive known Dell to remove/never put on the AGP slot on the motherboard if you bought a computer running off the integrated chip. For this to actually have 2 PCI-E lanes that can support SLI/CFX is quite nice honestly even though im sure this motherboard is anything but "top of the line".

thelatestmodel
Well most companies that are not like ibuypower or cyberpowerpc when making rigs use a no-name PSU and a small motherboard. That's a general thing, if you open up for instance an alienware aurora (we have a few on the site I work at for reasons im unsure of) they have some nice hardware, but the PSU just says 80+ and its wattage (800 in these cases). The motherboards are the same thing...

I know they are doing it to cut costs - this ain't my first rodeo. All I'm saying is that if a company is going to do a "premium" computer aimed at gamers, they should at least pay attention to detail and not be so obvious when it comes to cutting costs. It doesn't need to be a complete mess when you take the side off!

I really like the design! I like the sharp edges, the glossy finish and the color led lit parts of it. However, it does like all the other gaming PC cases though, but doesn't mean its bad.

Uh, RAM doesn't even run in native quad-channel. What the hell? To upgrade it you need to toss out every RAM stick.

Uh, RAM doesn't even run in native quad-channel. What the hell? To upgrade it you need to toss out every RAM stick.
That's pretty pointless having socket 2011 and not running quad-channel, also where are they getting a HD8970?

I had a feeling they were the same cards, just seemed unusual why AMD have both on their website

St1ckM4n I was aware of the HD 8XXX mobile series but have yet to see an OEM machine with an HD 8970 let alone here of one which confuses me why its listed on the site or what computers are using them.

St1ckM4n Yea, well us country folk call that there card an R9 280X :p

But seriously, its an oddity, I was curious why they even exist to begin with, does not make much sense.

Could it be because normal consumers don't understand their new naming so AMD just use the same cards but call them 8970, 8950 and so on to simply make it easier for them to understand

It might be worth noting the keyboard is a rebranded saitek eclipse II.
Which impresses me honestly, im typing on one now.

Thanks for that. I had assumed the keyboard was a re-badged something-or-other, but couldn't find anything that looked identical. I'm still wondering about that mouse though...

I also don't understand why this has Sandy Bridge-E instead of Ivy Bridge-E, seems like that would have been a nice upgrade.
I was a bit surprised by this, myself.

Even with its current config though, the CPU kind of outshines the GPU choice. It seems like an odd choice, but it likely came down to logistics and/or price for Lenovo.

Back