Lenovo on top as annual worldwide PC shipments grow for the first time since 2011

Humza

Staff member
Why it matters: With its third consecutive quarter of sales growth, the PC market saw over 70 million units shipped worldwide in the fourth quarter of 2019. According to figures from market research firms IDC and Gartner, this performance represents consistent growth of the PC industry for the first time in eight years, with the top three spots held by Lenovo, HP, and Dell, respectively.

It's been a long time coming, but the PC industry seems to have finally ended its declining sales business, recording positive growth in all but one of 2019's fiscal quarters.

Both IDC and Gartner recently published PC shipment figures with each analyst firm having a slightly varying definition of the industry. While IDC accounts for workstations, desktops, and notebooks (including Chromebooks) in its data, it excludes tablets and x86 servers, whereas Gartner's data includes "desk-based PCs, notebook PCs and ultramobile premiums (such as Microsoft Surface), but not Chromebooks or iPads."

Quarter-over-Quarter figures

In terms of quarterly sales, IDC puts shipments at 71.8 million units corresponding to a 4.8 percent growth, compared to Gartner's figure of 70.6 million shipped units and a 2.3 percent QoQ increase.

Both firms also noted the negative impact of Intel's CPU shortages on the industry, which according to IDC, received some relief from AMD CPUs.

Year-over-Year figures

For the full year, IDC notes 266.69 million units shipped with a 2.7 percent yearly increase, compared to Gartner's 261.2 million figure for 2019 and a 0.6 percent YoY growth.

"The PC market experienced growth for the first time since 2011, driven by vibrant business demand for Windows 10 upgrades, particularly in the U.S., EMEA and Japan," said Gartner analyst, Mikako Kitagawa, while IDC also cited "hardware renewals related to Windows 10 migration and end-of-year budget spending" for the positive turnaround.

Despite the overall growth of the PC market with Lenovo, HP, and Dell coming in at the top three, Apple and Acer suffered a decline in shipments. For Cupertino, however, IDC notes that the "continued momentum in the iPad and iPhone space have more than offset its challenges with Mac volumes."

With that said, both firms see a challenging road ahead for the industry, citing newer technologies like 5G and innovative foldable PCs as key factors in enabling sustainable growth. "Such innovations that change user behavior and create new product segments are something to keep an eye on in 2020 and beyond,” noted Ms. Kitagawa.

Permalink to story.

I work for one of the schools in CT. I saw an order of 3 pallets last month or so of their laptops. Must have been $100K-$300k worth of laptops. Lenovo must be very happy.

"According to figures from market research firms IDC and Gartner, this performance represents consistent growth of the PC industry for the first time in eight years, with the top three spots held by Lenovo, HP, and Dell, respectively."

Um... do you know what the word CONSISTENT actually means? Because growth in 3 out of 4 quarters - after declining for 8 years - is NOT what it means...

I am pretty happy with Lenovo, I have two tablets small one and large one. work good, battery good, etc.
Had Asus, looked really nice but had to do mandatory OS update, so they told me. Then everything went crazy. It kept re-booting and re-booting and re-booting. I contacted their 'help' desk, so called help desk because after trying to tell them the problem, I could only yell, 'help!'....

In the end, had to get rid of it, had more than 30 emails with Asus, had many phone calls, nothing!

But am very happy with my Lenovo tablets. Highly recommend them. (had also samsung, and it is also good, but more expensive.)

I am pretty happy with Lenovo, I have two tablets small one and large one. work good, battery good, etc.
Had Asus, looked really nice but had to do mandatory OS update, so they told me. Then everything went crazy. It kept re-booting and re-booting and re-booting. I contacted their 'help' desk, so called help desk because after trying to tell them the problem, I could only yell, 'help!'....

In the end, had to get rid of it, had more than 30 emails with Asus, had many phone calls, nothing!

But am very happy with my Lenovo tablets. Highly recommend them. (had also samsung, and it is also good, but more expensive.)

I can say without a doubt, after purchasing a high end gaming monitor from Lenovo (panel from LG)and after being advised not to buy from the because they have cheap build quality, that Lenovo actually makes decent stuff and not overpriced, always undercutting the competition, an example is my monitor that it's the same as LG is selling with the same features (since it's the same panel on both products) but actually Lenovo does a trick here and it works, it gives for 50 euros cheaper, the same panel, but better features ( 165Hz versus 144Hz, improved contrast and HDR function).

I bet Lenovo makes other types of products the same or better than the competition and undercuts them (I can see that in laptops sales).

Can't trust Lenovo though, never know what spyware was hacked into the firmware for the Chinese government to steal trade secrets

Back