Lenovo teases the Z5, a true all-screen phone

David Matthews

Staff member

The current trend in smartphones these days is seeing how small manufacturers can make the bezel. Apple notoriously ditched its infamous home button that also allows an almost all screen design save for the notch at the top for the Face ID facial recognition system. Lenovo is trying to one up everybody by teasing a truly “all-screen” phone.

Lenovo’s Vice President Chang Cheng teased a sketch of the Lenovo Z5 on Weibo, China’s social media network. The sketch itself shows a phone with an impressive ultra-thin bezel that an earlier tease claimed has a 95 percent screen-to-body ratio. Cheng added that the Z5 would have significant technological breakthroughs supported by at least 18 patents.

What’s not clear from the sketch is how the Z5 will handle the front facing camera, sensors, and earpieces. The Vivo Apex has a pop up camera but still has a chin for the display driver. Both the iPhone X and Essential Phone contain “notches” for their respective cameras. As far as the rest of the sensors, ultrasound proximity sensors and piezoelectric could be a viable technology. Fingerprint sensors embedded into the display are also a distinct possibility like the Vivo X20 Plus UD.

All-screen phones are the holy grail of current smartphone trends and up until now, no OEM has been able to create an actual ultra-thin smartphone without making some sacrifice. We’ll see if Lenovo’s 18 patented technologies can crack the code.

Permalink to story.

I am waiting on 100% transparent cell phones.. Z5 I guess will replace the current Z2. Then everything is going 100% touch screen no more hardware buttons to press. Would be better for Google Assistant to take over more of a role in calling contacts. Z5 still not 100% transparent. I wonder why they're delaying transparent tech for us. Almost 2020.. What another 10 years before that hits the streets?

All-screen phones are the holy grail of current smartphone trends.
In the same way that 3D was the holy grail on TVs? How did that work out?
All-screen phones are a dumb idea. You can't hold the phone and it won't survive a drop.

Having a bigger screen to body ratio is the new pissing contest between phone manufacturers. Sure, it looks nice but it is difficult to hold which will result in you dropping your phone and since it's all glass it will shatter. It also makes people more hesitant to buy a case since it ruins the looks which also leads to shattered phones. In the end Lenovo won't become popular because it's still Lenovo and not Apple.

All-screen phones are the holy grail of current smartphone trends.
In the same way that 3D was the holy grail on TVs? How did that work out?
All-screen phones are a dumb idea. You can't hold the phone and it won't survive a drop.
I totally agree, which is why I'm keeping my iphone 5se - - easy to manage and when wrapped in a case, it's relatively immune to damage if dropped. There's no new feature I need to induce me to upgrade.

Who cares...give me a screen that does not shatter!

oh wait I already have a moto shattershield phone! Why don't more phone companies use this?

So there will be no way to attach a proper protective case, since there are no bezels or anything to attach a case to, and the lack of bezels already contribute to fragility. The screen on this thing will break very, very fast.

And without the bezel, work will need to be done in software to prevent accidental touching, which will be buggy, and take valuable resources to accomplish, all to look pretty.

Why not make what users complain they want, a thicker phone with a bigger battery, and stop this ridiculous design trend of removing functionality for something people dont want?

Bezel-less phones may be the holy grail for phone companies, but I really wonder how much of a holy grail they are for phone buyers. In the same way as I wonder a lot about what the fashion designers put out.

For me, the thing most likely to get me to update my phone would be an interchangeable battery so I can have it ultraslim if I'm going out for the evening, or as large as a housebrick if I want it to be.

Back