Lenovo uses fan-made video to show off the foldable Razr phone

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: After the Galaxy Fold mess, many consumers are skeptical when it comes to foldable phones. But Motorola’s upcoming take on the design is a departure from what we’ve seen from Samsung, Huawei, and the rest. Now, a fan-made video, used by parent firm Lenovo for a press demo, shows what we might expect from the foldable Razr handset.

We got an idea of what the new Razr phone would look like back in January. Unlike most foldables, which are standard-sized handsets that open out to tablet-like devices, Motorola’s device looks like a normal phone that folds down into a compact form factor, allowing it to be easily carried in a pocket.

The video shows how the folding mechanism works using a special hinge and gears. There’s a small, secondary screen on the outside of the phone that displays information such as notifications and the time/date, and we also see the Razr in black, red, and blue colors.

Hopefully, the design will avoid the problems experienced by the Galaxy Fold, which Samsung has reportedly now fixed and will release next month. While the Razr is rumored to be cheaper than the $2,000 Fold, it is still expected to carry a price tag of around $1,500.

Despite the video being a concept by @WaqarKhanHD, Engadget writes that it was “an edited fan render Lenovo was using for a press demo.” You can see more of Waqar Khan’s work on his YouTube channel.

Permalink to story.

A very nice video, if a little long.
I can't help but think that a mirror on the outside would make it a proper Compact (to check makeup, hair) :)

Hopefully by the third generation these will be mainstream as economies of scale bring down the price.
I don't want a phone that turns into a tablet, but a flip phone like this is something I would absolutely buy.

No doubt we are going to see many variations on the same theme of fold-able phones but after about a year it will all shake out to a hand full of styles and hopefully a LOT for manageable price .....

For that much, it better come with some decent hardware. Otherwise, you're paying purely for the ability to fold the phone...

It appears it had room in the frame to fit the ear speaker, hence getting rid of the stupid notch!

The fold is impractical if you cannot use the thumb of your holding hand to open it.

$1,500 is five times more than what I would pay to buy this phone!

You missed the part where the creator of the render said Lenovo stole it without permission or attribution and edited the image to remove the creator's original watermarks.

https://arstechnica.com/?p=1507099

Also there's no indication that Lenovo is actually planning to produce one of these.

I'd rather have a THICKER phone, with a SLIDE OUT hardware keyboard, than all this folding garbage.

Back