Levi's 'smart jacket' can only be washed 10 times... at best

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Levi Strauss & Co. recently announced that its oft-teased Commuter Trucker smart jacket would go on sale in select boutiques this week before finding its way online on October 2.

For those contemplating a purchase, there’s some very important fine print that you’ll want to be aware of before making a decision.

As clearly outlined on Google’s support page, users must remove the Jacquard snap tag – the “brains” of the wearable – before washing the jacket. Even still, the Commuter Trucker jacket is only designed to withstand up to 10 washes although Google concedes that your experience may vary based on usage and wash conditions.

The search giant adds that it’s alright to tumble dry the jacket on low heat but says air drying is preferred. Owners should also avoid dry-cleaning and ironing the jacket’s left cuff (where the tag plugs into).

For a garment designed to be worn by bikers, limiting the number of washes to under a dozen over its lifespan doesn’t seem very sanitary. But, what do the experts think?

According to GQ, most jackets and coats should be laundered once a season but if you live in a city, spend a lot of time outside or wear said article every day, a mid-season rinse might be in order. Then again, the publication also notes that jeans can go an entire season without needing a wash so I’m not sure how much stock I’d personally invest into their advice.

Levi’s Commuter Trucker smart jacket will set you back $350.

Permalink to story.

Back when I was in High School this would have been just fine ..... as long as you didn't mind tossing away your money because somebody on the design team missed the mark ....

I have had more Levi jackets that I can count. I doubt I washed any of them 10 times except the one I have now and that may not be 10 yet

Who washes a jacket that often? Ok, so my Paramo waterproof ones need to be washed and re-proofed regularly but I cannot recall washing a normal jacket since 1990 (after a very heavy nights drinking - I'll leave it there ;-))

Anyone silly enough to buy one of these, probably won't get it dirty, because they are one of those snooty types that gets it, just to show it off.

At that price, I'd expect it to last me for 100 years minimum, and in that time I'm sure I will have needed to wash it more than just once or twice. Anyway, the sole purpose for the jackets existence is to promote the company and what better way of going about that than letting the big spending, blingy and bragging types to do it on your behalf. If this type of thing ever takes off, expect to see prices drop dramatically and the garments circuitry become a lot more durable and robust simply because of all the stiff competition it'll have to face.

I doubt the thing functions long enough to wear it out. Once it stops functioning, it is pretty much is a standard jacket and you can wash it as many times as you like. So long story short, this is a non-issue. The only question is whether you want to pay the price, for how brief this smart jacket will live.

10 washes should be more than enough to wear it for at least a few seasons. And you can still use it as a regular jacket after it "breaks". It doesn't change the fact that it's a good brand name (good looking in my opinion) jacket.

I've had a jacket for 6 years, washed probably 2/3 times.
I don't see how this is a problem at all and why there's even an article on it.

Back