Levi's smart jackets are here to stay

Polycount

Staff

Levi's first smart jacket -- known as the "Commuter Trucker" -- arrived just a few weeks ago with a hefty $350 price tag. While the jacket featured some neat technology, it was certainly an unusual idea that has attracted its fair share of skepticism.

Regardless, the ability to control certain aspects of a smartphone hands-free must have resonated with quite a few people, if Levi Strauss & Co. CEO Chip Bergh's remarks at The Wall Street Journal's D.Live tech conference are any indication.

According to the executive, his company is already working with Google on a second generation smart jacket that aims to incorporate additional features that will nearly eliminate the need to constantly remove your phone from your pocket. Bergh didn't offer details on what sort of improvements or features we might see in version 2.0 of the Commuter Trucker but he did say that virtually any task that doesn't require a screen is on the table.

Bergh seems optimistic about the future of connected clothing technology overall.

"I've been asked the question before, 'When will you know if this is a success?' My answer is, 'I already know it's a success, because we've learned so much about how to innovate by partnering with Google."

Working with Google has taught the company how to "(embrace) failure more readily", as a result of "two very, very different cultures" merging to create one product. For example, Bergh claims that one prototype jacket's sleeve caught on fire during development. Google responded by saying, "That gives us a problem to solve!"

Whether or not Bergh's predictions regarding the future of smart clothing will come true remains to be seen but at the very least, there's something to be said for the added safety that a jacket like the Commuter can bring to bike-riders.

Permalink to story.

I'm going to hold out for Fruit of the Loom to come out with their version .... with a perimeter alert system to avoid offending those around you after a big meal of chili beans or pickled eggs & beer.

"virtually any task that doesn't require a screen is on the table"

So you have answer your phone, that's one. Ummm... play/pause/skip track if you're listening to music, Bluetooth headphones can do that and if the future without a 3.5mm jack is really the world we'll be living in I'd hardly count the jackets ability to that as a two. Now it gets tricky, what else can you truly do without a screen on a smart phone, I'm honestly at a loss right now.

Anyone have ideas of what you would actually want to do on your phone whilst not actually holding or looking at the screen on your phone. Please don't say turn on the flashlight, I thought about that, just don't really think it's a handy ability when the phone is in your pocket, unless draining your battery is high on your list of features you'd like to see this Jacket incorporate.

"virtually any task that doesn't require a screen is on the table"

So you have answer your phone, that's one. Ummm... play/pause/skip track if you're listening to music, Bluetooth headphones can do that and if the future without a 3.5mm jack is really the world we'll be living in I'd hardly count the jackets ability to that as a two. Now it gets tricky, what else can you truly do without a screen on a smart phone, I'm honestly at a loss right now.

Anyone have ideas of what you would actually want to do on your phone whilst not actually holding or looking at the screen on your phone. Please don't say turn on the flashlight, I thought about that, just don't really think it's a handy ability when the phone is in your pocket, unless draining your battery is high on your list of features you'd like to see this Jacket incorporate.

Call out, playback voicemail
Send and read text
Read calendar
Personal assistant
Maybe fitness tracking
Voice navigation

Im sure there is more

Call out, playback voicemail
Send and read text
Read calendar
Personal assistant
Maybe fitness tracking
Voice navigation

Im sure there is more

I guess I don't use any of those things, although I have a strong suspicion most of those things you listed are related to a headset and voice commands and really have nothing to do with a stupid jacket. Voice navigation with a jacket? Makes sense right...

I guess I don't use any of those things, although I have a strong suspicion most of those things you listed are related to a headset and voice commands and really have nothing to do with a stupid jacket. Voice navigation with a jacket? Makes sense right...[/QUOTE

Ever ride a bike?

Back