LG Display to show off transparent and flexible OLEDs at CES

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: We can always expect LG Display to have some new and innovative products at CES, and next week’s 2022 show won’t be any different. The company will be showcasing several transparent and flexible screens during the event, including the dual-display OLED Shelf.

The display panel manufacturer has announced that it will introduce its new transparent OLED solutions at CES 2022. The highlight will be the OLED Shelf, which combines two 55-inch transparent displays, one on top of the other, along with a shelf on the top unit, hence the name.

The idea behind the OLED Shelf is to show two different types of content on each screen simultaneously, such as a movie and a piece of art. As with some other modern televisions, there’s an Always-on Display Mode, and being transparent means you could show off a physical painting behind a screen when it’s turned off.

The Verge notes that LG has created a sheet of opaque material that rolls down like a projector to make images on transparent screens look less ghostly, which they often do.

LG Display will also be unveiling several enterprise-aimed transparent screens. The Shopping Managing Showcase is designed to be placed in front of in-store goods. This creates an experience in which content—graphics, prices, etc.—relating to the items behind can be displayed in an almost AR-like fashion.

A similar product called Show Window will be at CES. As the name suggests, this is a transparent display for shop windows, made up of four 55-inch transparent OLEDs. Versions of this tech are already on display at the new Musinsa fashion store in Seoul, art exhibitions at The Smithsonian and at 180 The Strand in London, inside some subway car windows in China and Japan, and a Bulgari fashion show.

There’s also a version of Show Window designed for office video conferences and presentations.

LG Display will unveil two flexible OLEDs at CES, too. The Media Chair is a reclining unit with an integrated 55-inch OLED TV featuring a 1,500R curvature and Cinematic Sound technology, producing audio through in-screen vibrations rather than external speakers. There’s also an armrest touchscreen control panel for pivoting the screen between portrait and landscape orientations.

Finally, fitness fans may appreciate the Virtual Ride. It combines three 55-inch OLEDs and places them in front of a stationary bike. The screens reach a curve of 500R, which LG says is the biggest among large displays, allowing a deep level of immersion.

These are just concepts, so there’s no guarantee they’ll all eventually become real-world products. Now we just have to wait and see if CES 2022 goes ahead as an in-person event, given that so many companies have dropped out.

Permalink to story.

It's funny to me that one of the main uses they portray for the tech is retail stores...You know, the thing that is becoming increasingly obsolete not only because of the ubiquitous Amazon but because of the out of control inflation that's compounding with the recovery and perhaps future recession caused by the pandemic related global shortages and the opportunistic companies piggybacking on it to set prices?

Really? I'm waiting for non-Euclidian TV's that can fold in on themselves in higher spatial dimensions. Something finally befitting of my palace to watch Netflix on.
Not only that my exalted prince, but it would bend easily around your royal camel while traveling, whether two humps, or dromedary.

It's been coming for years and you know the first & second editions will cost you an arm and a leg, but sooner or later it will be come the bargain we all are looking for .....

It's funny to me that one of the main uses they portray for the tech is retail stores...You know, the thing that is becoming increasingly obsolete not only because of the ubiquitous Amazon but because of the out of control inflation that's compounding with the recovery and perhaps future recession caused by the pandemic related global shortages and the opportunistic companies piggybacking on it to set prices?
Inflation? I think that is a misnomer. IMO, it should be greedy people raising prices because they can and they are greedy.

One possible good thing about inflation - better interest rates instead of these pitiful interest rates we have seen for how many years now?

OLED is so yesterday. I'm waiting for Micro-LED.

I think it's already here - you just have to pay for it - TVs are getting pretty good.

No sure Micro-LED is worth it until - only a small premium - up to 10000 nits - so what - my panasonic plasma has something like 100-150 nits - it's 10 years old - it's meant to off faded( haven't seen any ) - I have not had to turn up brightness to compensate.
I watch movies in a darken room - why would I want lasers burning out my eyes from true black to 10000 nits ( added just because the movie can ) . OLED are meant to be infinite contrast anyway.

No burn in - excellent
Low power consumption ( excellent for planet - meaningless if expensive to buy).
Higher Colour saturation in the advanced palettes (B2020 or something ) - normally when you increase brightness - saturation decreases.- so should be good

However in real life most colours around us are pastel , drabbed by other colours . Look around - how many super saturated colours do you see - when I did photography some films like Velvia - gave a lovely saturated effect - was it true to life ?? - for games would be a great tool if used wisely - Raymond Legends , Jungles, Cartoons ( bright sun shots colours can bleach )

Now I sure OLED will improve as well - imagine the control you could get with 8K screen , great chip and processing , 4K image - ie the effective control in dark areas with be better - and you will have enough nits in bright areas to make your vision uncomfortable .
Plus when you were watching the Good , Bad and ugly on your old B&W Cathode tube TV - did your mind wonder to your TV - or you were too enthralled in the movie to care ( yes there's a wow factor now - but the media is everything - so choose best bang for bucks for your situation)

Anyway lets wait to Apple releases a TV called TrueVision - then we know it can not get any better

I think it's already here - you just have to pay for it - TVs are getting pretty good.

No sure Micro-LED is worth it until - only a small premium - up to 10000 nits - so what - my panasonic plasma has something like 100-150 nits - it's 10 years old - it's meant to off faded( haven't seen any ) - I have not had to turn up brightness to compensate.
I watch movies in a darken room - why would I want lasers burning out my eyes from true black to 10000 nits ( added just because the movie can ) . OLED are meant to be infinite contrast anyway.

No burn in - excellent
Low power consumption ( excellent for planet - meaningless if expensive to buy).
Higher Colour saturation in the advanced palettes (B2020 or something ) - normally when you increase brightness - saturation decreases.- so should be good

However in real life most colours around us are pastel , drabbed by other colours . Look around - how many super saturated colours do you see - when I did photography some films like Velvia - gave a lovely saturated effect - was it true to life ?? - for games would be a great tool if used wisely - Raymond Legends , Jungles, Cartoons ( bright sun shots colours can bleach )

Now I sure OLED will improve as well - imagine the control you could get with 8K screen , great chip and processing , 4K image - ie the effective control in dark areas with be better - and you will have enough nits in bright areas to make your vision uncomfortable .
Plus when you were watching the Good , Bad and ugly on your old B&W Cathode tube TV - did your mind wonder to your TV - or you were too enthralled in the movie to care ( yes there's a wow factor now - but the media is everything - so choose best bang for bucks for your situation)

Anyway lets wait to Apple releases a TV called TrueVision - then we know it can not get any better
The link I posted above uses it... 1.7 million though... but eventually, we'll be seeing screens using that tech that normal people can afford...

The big flaw I noted (other than cost) is the heat that such a screen would emit. We joke about CPUs doubling as space heaters... but a large MicroLED screen would put out a crazy amount...

The thing is, you eyes get slower to adapt to changing light level in your old age, (not that I think You're old, mind you). If a "nit" is what I think it is; (1 nit equals 1 foot candle) then 10,000 nits is as bright, or brighter than,open shade in bright sunlight. Although, I try to shy away from screens that have less than 300 nits, preferring 350. That gives you enough brill, to back the brightness well down, and still have detail in the shadows,

I don't run monitors terribly bright, I just shoot for good skin tones, color saturation, contrast, and shadow detail,. When the highlights aren't blown out, and you can see pretty well into the shadows, you're good to go.

Every picture engineer, in every studio, apparently has a different opinion about what the color balance should.be. If you humored them, you'd twiddling dials all day and night, endlessly.

The Russian "art model photographers" are the worst in the world. I don't think they've ever heard of setting camera white balance, or calibrating a monitor.. I suppose it's alright, if your kink is the blue, red, magenta, yellow, or green bimbo from the planet zircon, But for the rest of us, jeez, at least take one semester of color photography..

Last edited:
The thing is, you eyes get slower to adapt to changing light level in your old age, (not that I think You're old, mind you). If a "nit" is what I think it is; (1 nit equals 1 foot candle) then 10,000 nits is as bright, or brighter than,open shade in bright sunlight. Although, I try to shy away from screens that have less than 300 nits, preferring 350. That gives you enough brill, to back the brightness well down, and still have detail in the shadows,

I don't run monitors terribly bright, I just shoot for good skin tones, color saturation, contrast, and shadow detail,. When the highlights aren't blown out, and you can see pretty well into the shadows, you're good to go.

Every picture engineer, in every studio, apparently has a different opinion about what the color balance should.be. If you humored them, you'd twiddling dials all day and night, endlessly.

The Russian "art model photographers" are the worst in the world. I don't think they've ever heard of setting camera white balance, or calibrating a monitor.. I suppose it's alright, if your kink is the blue, red, magenta, yellow, or green bimbo from the planet zircon, But for the rest of us, jeez, at least take one semester of color photography..
I agree , when you see a well mastered movie - it just looks great - no matter if 720p or TV type - it can't be easy to roundup all the shots over a year - and make them flow with consistency ( colour , light , hues, saturation , grain etc ) . It's like music producing - how hard can it be ?- set up room, some mikes - then just level them in the mix . Which means any albums I produced will sound terrible

Not only that my exalted prince, but it would bend easily around your royal camel while traveling, whether two humps, or dromedary.
I can only imagine what I could do to that camels humps in a non-Euclidian space. Talk about reaching some higher dimensions ;)

Lasers? I have to wonder where you are getting your information from. 🤷‍♂️
While I agree about price parity, there are many advantages to micro-LED over OLED. However, they are not lasers.

And there are ways of compensating a darkened room - adding neutral back lighting, for instance.

Back