LG Q3 profit more than doubles on record smartphone sales

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Riding high on its smartphone portfolio, LG has announced its third quarter earnings for fiscal year 2014, reporting an operating profit of $449.61 million, more than double what the company reported in the same period a year ago.

The company's mobile business saw record smartphone sales in the third quarter moving 16.8 million units, up a whopping 39 percent from 12 million sold a year earlier, and 16 percent compared to the previous quarter. While impressive, the figure is still well below Samsung which, according to market analysts, shipped more than 80 million units in the same period.

The division reported sales of $4.14 billion and operating income of $163.16 million. LG noted this is the highest in the company’s history since the third quarter of 2009, thanks in part to strong shipments of its popular flagship handset, the G3. Moving forward, the company says it expects to strengthen its positioning in the smartphone market with its G Series and L Series III models.

LG's TV division reported third-quarter revenues of $4.59 billion, down 3 percent from the same period last year, and operating profit of $127.19 million, up 5 percent from last year. The company says sales of LCD TVs increased year-over-year in North America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East, and it expects sales of 4K Ultra HD TVs and commercial digital signage products to grow.

Its overall third quarter revenue, which the company says is unaudited at this time, stood at $14.54 billion, up 7.4 percent year-over-year. The report came just a day after LG announced that it will cease production and sales of plasma display panel (PDP) televisions by the end of the next month.

Permalink to story.

I like LG, the LG phones I've had in the past and even my current Optimus G (predecessor of the G2) is a very good phone except for the fact that it overheats all the time and always has. The only problem I have with LG is that they will not replace defective products as the overheating has broken the back glass and LG was aware of the problem with that product line at the time. The have replaced phones for people that had bought it the same month and that the back glass broke because of the overheating, but mine having done that in the 5th month, they refused to replace my phone on warranty. And then they say they have a 1 year warranty.

Back