LG reveals super skinny 55-inch OLED TV at CES

Leeky

The undisputed highlight of LG's CES press conference was the unveiling of its new TV, the world’s first 55-incher to feature an organic light emitting diode (OLED) display. LG says the TV is 3D-ready, offers better viewing angles and delivers more natural color reproduction including richer blacks. "It's everything you want in a display," says LG's Tim Alessi.

oled ces lg tv television lg electronics 55 inch ces 2012

If its amazing color reproduction doesn't stop you in your tracks, its miniscule 4mm thick design will, as will its featherweight 16.5-pound body. We don't have a price but it's likely to be spendy, even with the firm’s promise of a much lower selling point than it would usually command at this size, but it'll be available in the U.S. by the third or fourth quarter.

The company also announced plans to add gesture and voice controls to its line of smart TVs. With a "smart" remote, users can use their voices to enter text when searching for content as well as physical movements to control various aspects of the set's functions. Plans are also in motion to incorporate a 3D gesture interface to track body movements allowing users to host games such as Fruit Ninja.

Even smart refrigerators shone in the spotlight at CES with models featuring smart managers that track food inside the fridge including warning of food expiry dates. The lists can be updated by adding the items they purchase at a store on a touchscreen or by scanning the receipt with a smartphone.

One very handy function is the ability to recommend food recipes based on contents within the fridge, as well as the ice blast feature that cools a canned drink in five minutes, or just eight minutes for a bottle of wine.

Permalink to story.

This has literally been in my dreams since I first heard about this technology back in 2001!! And now it's coming true, I am speechless!!!

Guest said:
This has literally been in my dreams since I first heard about this technology back in 2001!! And now it's coming true, I am speechless!!!

But you sure are eager to type, eh.....

I never liked skinny TV because it did not give me the same feeling like the old tube TV did.
It's about stepping inside the "tube" to socialize.

hopefully with OLED TVs proliferating, we'll be able to quickly move beyond 1080p into 4k x 4k resolution; now that's what I want to see!!

A Fridge that can give me meal ideas based on what is inside? Now that is an idea that I would very much like to see in action.

If they did a 55 inch OLED tv, why on earth are not making laptops and tablets whit OLED or SuperAMOLED?

I concur, 1080p is getting to much clout because most people don't understand resolutions fully. I told one of my friends that I saw a 22" IBM monitor I wanted for Graphics design that boasted 3,840 x 2,400 resolution. He responded, "is it 1080p?". It would do to HD 1080p what HD 1080p did to standard TV resolution. Make it look like the crap it is. Granted the IBM monitor doesn't have the contrast ratio or the refresh rate to compared to todays monitors, the still picture quality still trumps todays resolutions. If we had TV's in the 4k resolution with a higher PPI ratio, it would make the pixels almost indistinguishable from a couch. However, facial moles would become more horrendous than ever.

LG (along with Samsung) are really leading the way when it comes to tech. I can't wait for OLED to be the standard flat panel display tech, much like how LCD is now.

Loving those black blacks.

Back