LG to unveil flagship G3 smartphone on May 27

Shawn Knight

Staff member

smartphone lg g3

LG Electronics recently sent out media invitations for a launch event spanning six cities across the globe. The invite includes a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson with the letter “G” in bold and caps which can only signal the arrival of the company’s next flagship smartphone, the G3.

The phone will be unveiled on May 27 / May 28 (depending on your region of the world) with launch events being hosted in San Francisco, New York, London, Singapore, Seoul and Istanbul.

The backdrop for the invitation appears to be a dark colored brushed aluminum which could suggest the G3 will be clad in premium materials. That’d be an improvement over previous offerings that have utilized a plastic shell and would put it on par with other premium handsets like the HTC One M8 and the iPhone 5s.

Earlier reports suggested LG could be building its own mobile processor to power the G3. The phone may also carry a 2K resolution display with 3GB of RAM inside but of course, we’ll have to wait until next month to see how that pans out.

Whether or not the new flagship will have much impact on the market, however, remains to be seen. By all accounts, LG is the last of the Android camp to release a high end device this year with the aforementioned HTC One M8 and Samsung’s Galaxy S5 already in the wild. We’re still expecting a new iPhone or two from Apple but considering that’s iOS, it doesn’t really factor into this discussion.

Permalink to story.

By all accounts, LG is the last of the Android camp to release a high end device this year with the aforementioned HTC One M8 and Samsung’s Galaxy S5 already in the wild.
Yes, and last year they were the last ones to release a phone too... and as a result they had a better processor (the Snapdragon 800) than the HTC One and S4 (only a 600). This gave the G2 much better battery life despite the bigger screen.

Maybe we'll see another improvement that wasn't ready in time for the S5/M8.

This wont even support a 128GB micro SD card? That's the next thing... and it will only allow 32GB micro SD cards? 64 GB is like... todays standard as far as I see it. Hope this information is incorrect. I would NOT buy a phone that would only support a 32GB micro SD card... just for that reason. (expecially when most other current phones support 64GB micro sd cards) and tba phones are going to start accepting 128GB micro sd cards. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Back