LG unveils 163-inch MicroLED TV

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Massive TVs are in demand right now, and for many people, bigger equals better. As such, LG has launched a television that could satisfy your craving for consuming content on near cinema-size screens. Sadly, it’s aimed at enterprise customers rather than millionaires with gigantic living rooms.

LG’s Magnit TV not only boasts 163 inches of 4K resolution, but it’s also the company’s first microLED display. It’s being rolled out this week in global markets, including North America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.

LG says the MicroLED display’s self-emissive micrometer-scale pixels deliver sharper, more colorful images with a wider viewing angle. The Magnit uses LG’s Black Coating technology that’s applied to the surface of the MicroLEDs, improving contrast and color accuracy while protecting the pixels from moisture, dust, and external shocks. It’s also anti-glare and anti-fingerprint.

Away from the display, the Magnit features an Alpha AI imaging processor that’s able to analyze content and output an optimal picture in real-time. It also runs LG’s WebOS found in its consumer smart TVs.

If you’re exceedingly rich and wouldn’t mind an LG Magnit in one of your mansion’s rooms, you might have to look elsewhere; LG says it’s designed for commercial and public spaces such as convention centers, hotel lobbies, and exhibitions halls.

The Magnit isn’t the first monster TV to utilize MicroLED tech. Samsung last year unveiled The Wall Luxury, the latest version of its customizable modular MicroLED screen. It can be configured from a home-friendly 73-inches in 2K resolution right up to 292 inches in 8K. Sony, meanwhile, built a 63-foot, 16K MicroLED screen for a Japanese cosmetics business.

Permalink to story.

Order it, install it after they lay the floor/walls for a new house. Just don't plan on moving LOL.

No doubt, TV as a wall will become a thing eventually.

"I told you never to call me on this wall! This is an unlisted wall!"

54045b5c-5881-498c-8a5e-b184f926d3cc_screenshot.jpg

I have been waiting very anxiously for a 110'' microLED 4k or 8k to replace my current 110'' HD movie projector screen in my bedroom

All I want is a 100" 4K TV.

I already bought a 70" Samsung from Black Friday as well as an 80" Vizio.

Why is it so difficult to just give me 100"?

God (S Korea or Japan) does not give you what you want, rather what you need (if you're lucky)...!

"Sadly, it’s aimed at enterprise customers rather than millionaires with gigantic living rooms."

Made me feel so bad for the sad millionaires....sadly indeed.

No doubt, TV as a wall will become a thing eventually.

I seen a futurist advert years ago which conceptualised this. Being able to set your wall to a tropical scenery or an alien world, get your daily dose of entertainment/news or simply change the paint of the room to suit your new style would be phenomenal.

It's amazing. Not sure I get the whole, I must have one. You must have large houses / living rooms, or open plan studio apartments.
Which makes me think as these things kinda get used as AD billboards in cities, you could hax into one and just watch out ya window. Free TV, wall mounted, and waterproof!
In the UK we all live in castles, but if you don't have the correct inch, to distance to sofa ratio, you just strain ya neck, and miss half of that glorious 4k.
Or you have it on a wall so high you get neck ache.
Obviously if it is a wall, well.
But yeah I must have this at some point. Next door can move out so I can knock down the opposing wall and push the sofa far enough back.

Yikes 27 ppi

Right, that's even lower then The Wall :laughing:

I think this is LG just going through the motions just-in-case someone comes up with a miracle breakthrough for MicroLED density; that way, they're only a few years behind (instead of a decade).

Also, if the mega-sized display market suddenly starts taking off, then hey already have an in.

It's amazing. Not sure I get the whole, I must have one. You must have large houses / living rooms, or open plan studio apartments.
Which makes me think as these things kinda get used as AD billboards in cities, you could hax into one and just watch out ya window. Free TV, wall mounted, and waterproof!
In the UK we all live in castles, but if you don't have the correct inch, to distance to sofa ratio, you just strain ya neck, and miss half of that glorious 4k.
Or you have it on a wall so high you get neck ache.
Obviously if it is a wall, well.
But yeah I must have this at some point. Next door can move out so I can knock down the opposing wall and push the sofa far enough back.
I don't think it'll work as an outdoor ad billboard though. Brightness is only 600nits average, 1,200nits peak. Probably indoor displays for malls and retail spaces.

I have been waiting very anxiously for a 110'' microLED 4k or 8k to replace my current 110'' HD movie projector screen in my bedroom

Well you will be waiting "anxiously" for a very long time - probably years. Especially for a 110" that costs less than $250,000.

Back