LG's C2 OLED TVs have arrived, starting at $1,400

Tudor Cibean

Staff
What just happened? LG's OLED TVs have long been hailed as some of the best-looking displays on the market, especially for gaming. Their 2022 C2 lineup is now available, and while they're costly, you can currently get last year's LG C1 models cheaper than ever.

LG has just kicked off sales of their new LG C2 lineup of OLED TVs they announced back in January. Their predecessors, the LG C1 series, have been regarded as some of the best TVs of 2021, while the smaller models are also excellent for use as gaming monitors, as long as you can fit one on your desk.

All this is thanks to OLED's self-emissive nature, which means it doesn't require a backlight, unlike LCD panels. This, in turn, allows it to display perfect blacks and have vastly superior response times.

All LG C2 models are 4K (3840 x 2160 resolution), sport a native refresh rate of 120 Hz, and 4 HDMI 2.1 ports. Of note is that these ports support full 48 Gbps of bandwidth, whereas last year's models were limited to 40 Gbps. Other features include a new α9 Gen5 processor, LG's updated webOS 22, and support for Dolby Vision, HDR10, and HLG.

These TVs are a mid-tier option in LG's OLED lineup, with the A2 and B2 series serving as lower-cost alternatives, while the G2 and 8K Z2 series are considered flagships.

The LG C2 series is available in 42-, 48-, 55-, 65-, 77-, and 83-inch diagonals for $1,400, $1,500, $1,800, $2,500, $3,500, and $5,500 respectively. All the bigger models, starting with the 55-incher, will benefit from a 20% increase in brightness compared to their predecessors, thanks to LG's new OLED.EX panels.

If you're looking for a similar OLED display with a more manageable size, check out the Alienware AW3423DW (full review coming tomorrow), featuring a Samsung-made QD-OLED panel. For some deal-grabbing, also the LG C1 48" TV model is now just $996.

Permalink to story.

Prices for 42" and 48" look great, but too big for PC gaming at a desk. I recently went 27" 1440p QD-IPS for monitor but at this pace my next will be (QD)OLED in the next few years. I would pay probably up to $700-800 CAD for a great 32" 4K OLED monitor.

PIA:

These new LG OLEDs have had some downgrades from the C1s, according to the guys at Digital Foundry.

The 'Black Frame Insertion' feature has been gimped for one, which has their main TV guy, John linneman, majorly pissed. For people who like CRT like motion persistence, its a real bummer.

I love my OLED TVs. I smile every time I turn them on, still. Looks amazing.
C9 65 inch in the bedroom and G1 77 inch in the living room.
C9 probably have 1000+ hours of gaming, former living room tv, and zero burn-in after 3 years with massive usage (COVID lockdown, I used that TV ALL the time for PC usage, TV (series/movies) and massive gaming (PS4 pro and XSX).

I love that Samsung entered the OLED market again. I will simply never ever buy a LCD panel again.

The subpixel config on the new Samsung QD-OLED needs to be investigated tho. Do they use this on their TV panels too? Alienware 34" QD-OLED uses it, making text NOT SEEM SHARP. See HDTV youtube for proof. This probably will be a dealbreaker for most people planning to use the monitor for actual work.

Last edited:
PIA:

These new LG OLEDs have had some downgrades from the C1s, according to the guys at Digital Foundry.

The 'Black Frame Insertion' feature has been gimped for one, which has their main TV guy, John linneman, majorly pissed. For people who like CRT like motion persistence, its a real bummer.

well, he may like halving the brightness and gimping the refresh rate, but most people wont even care, let alone notice.

edit: OLED pixel response time is close to CRT regardless, LCD of any type cant even come close. Meaning, even "bad" OLED is much better than most expensive LCD

well, he may like halving the brightness and gimping the refresh rate, but most people wont even care, let alone notice.

edit: OLED pixel response time is close to CRT regardless, LCD of any type cant even come close. Meaning, even "bad" OLED is much better than most expensive LCD

Whether you have any regard for BFI is neither here not there, some people do, and anyway you look at it, its a downgraded feature that's been removed for no good reason and will give some people a pause and to look elsewhere for a new TV.

Whether you have any regard for BFI is neither here not there, some people do, and anyway you look at it, its a downgraded feature that's been removed for no good reason and will give some people a pause and to look elsewhere for a new TV.
On the other hand, LG does release new firmware versions all the time and the aforementioned function is purely software so...who knows. C1 and C2 already got many upgrades over the time.

On the other hand, LG does release new firmware versions all the time and the aforementioned function is purely software so...who knows. C1 and C2 already got many upgrades over the time.
My B6P still gets the occasional firmware, for what it's worth. And LG *has* done a good job addressing issues post launch (including getting NVIDIA to backport HDMI Forum VRR into HDMI 2.0, since the 3000 series was late, so people with C9's/CX's could benefit from VRR with their older cards).

Not the tech or the IQ, their OLED is really nice, it's their QC and after market service. They really make rubbish. I would rather get another brand that uses LG panels. I'm hoping Samsung's QOLED prices come down quickly.
then just go pay sony 20% more for their offering. they use lg panels.

Do they have ads built in?

I'm keeping my plasma TV until I die, probably. I will not purchase ads disguised as a television.

Well my LG OLEDs have zero ads. Never seen a single one, and both are connected to the internet.

How can you live with a plasma TV these days. Plasma degrades over time, showing worse and worse image quality (gas leaks). Plasma is stuck at 60 Hz, 1080p and SDR too. Oh well... we all have different needs I guess, it's like 8 or 10 years since I sold my Panasonic VT60 🤣 I went LCD first, which was a mixed feeling, then I went OLED and holy ****, it's like Plasma on steroids. Incredible image quality on OLED. Gaming at native 4K/UHD at 120 Hz (true 120 Hz) with HDR and Gsync is simply a next gen feeling. Watching movies and series is insane too. Never ever going back to LCD, it's simply impossible for me to accept LCD image quality on a TV today. The only LCD panel left in my house is my 1440p/240Hz/IPS monitor. Everyhing else is OLED meaning phones and TV.

If ads are you biggest concern, simply use a streaming box like apple tv with a 4K/HDR/120Hz capable TV and disable internet access on the TV itself. If you use Apple TV you can even replace the (mostly, ugly) TV remote with Apple TV remote and control/run everything from the Apple TV/Remote.

Last edited:
Can't speak for their non-OLED offerings, but LG OLEDs have been the best TVs and the best Displays on the market for a good 5 years now.
I prefer watching movies at home rather than go to the cinema these days. The picture quality is genuinely better on the LG CX, no word of a lie.

If there was a 32' option I'd buy it instead of a monitor in a heartbeat.

I been using a LG CX 48 inch for my monitor a good 10-14 hours a day since its release. No visible burn in yet. Heck shocked it even turns on with how many hours I have on it. Thinking of grabing the C2 as I hear in SDR the color accuracy is pretty good out of the box.

When will they come to Canada? I thought they would be immediately available in Canada as soon as they are released, but clearly that's not the case.

When will they come to Canada? I thought they would be immediately available in Canada as soon as they are released, but clearly that's not the case.

No.

No one likes Canada, your overall politeness & cheery disposition is offensive to all who encounter it.

It's just not....normal

😁 😉

No.

No one likes Canada, your overall politeness & cheery disposition is offensive to all who encounter it.

It's just not....normal

😁 😉
Everyone thought it was weird when Mr. Kwang-mo, CEO of the South Korean company LG, decided the release cycle of the company's TVs would be based on an ascending order of politeness. :)

Back