LG's new Ultra HD 4K TV lineup is priced to sell, starting at $1,499

Shawn Knight

Staff member

move lg tv 4k resolution ultra hd

HS Kim, executive vice president of Samsung's visual display business, proclaimed back in January that 4K Ultra HD television set prices would drop rapidly and consumer adoption would take off faster than anticipated. Judging by LG’s just-announced Ultra HD lineup, the executive may well have been correct with the prediction.

LG is showing off seven new sets across three model series at CE Week now through June 27 in New York City. Each offering features IPS panel technology and LG’s webOS-based smart television platform.

In a press release on the matter, David VanderWaal, head of marketing for LG Electronics USA, said LG is serious about making Ultra HD TVs a reality for consumers now. It’s why their new lineup offers a broad variety of series, class sizes and prices.

If you recall, LG purchased the webOS code and patents from HP in early 2013 and launched its first webOS-powered sets in March of this year. Thus far, the Korean manufacturer has already sold more than a million televisions running the smart TV platform.

The new lineup starts with the UB8500 series which features LED edge lighting with local dimming, multiple HDMI inputs, H.265 decoding and a 20-watt speaker system. Sets are available in 49-inch and 55-inch models priced at $1,499 and $1,999, respectively.

The UB9500, meanwhile, steps things up a bit with a higher-powered 35-watt speaker system that includes a subwoofer and a different form factor. Sets in this series include the 55-inch model that sells for $2,500 and a larger 65-incher that’ll command $3,500.

If money is no object, the UB9800 range is where you’ll want to start shopping. The flagship series includes audio solutions from Harman Kardon mated with your choice of a 65-inch, 79-inch or 84-inch screen priced at $4,500, $8,000 and $15,000, respectively.

If none of those options are large enough, we hear there’s a massive 98-inch set in the works as well. No word on how much that’ll set you back, however.

Permalink to story.

Like the bird - buy the TV, oh, and you should hear her sing!!! :)

That's as far as your 4K content will go anyway.

I was just looking at Sony's offer of their 4K TV box, with 1TB HDD and 50 4K titles preloaded. That's like 16GB per movie. I have best-compression Avatar Extended compressed to that size for 1080P, and they claim it is 4K. What a bunch of bollox!

On another hand, if there were any good content, the prices wouldn't be collapsing this quick.

Unfortunately film/most cinema is still captured with much lower resolution camera's so other then Pixar movies and games, everything else is still upscaled/remastered.

Unfortunately film/most cinema is still captured with much lower resolution camera's so other then Pixar movies and games, everything else is still upscaled/remastered.

That's not the problem. There are many new titles that were shot with 4K cameras. It is the absence of the media that prevents their availability and thus hampers sales of 4K TV-s.

If money is no object, the UB9800 range is where you’ll want to start shopping. The flagship series includes audio solutions from Harman Kardon mated with your choice of a 65-inch, 79-inch or 84-inch screen priced at $4,500, $8,000 and $15,000, respectively.
it's almost 1130 PM, time zone Philippines. can some mall owners open their stores so I can buy one or two?
kidding aside, I wonder how rich people or 'tv people' with fat wallets react to news like this. do they buy on day 0-1?

What's the likelihood that these 4K TV's will drive the costs down for the HD TV's? I'm still waiting for affordable 80+ inch screens.

1080p on netflix doesnt look as good as watching it on bluray, and I imagine its simlar with 4k

Can anyone explain to me what the price increases more than 3X per inch when comparing a 49" TV vs. the 79" set? Does it take that much more money to build larger TV's or is that just greed?

Can anyone explain to me what the price increases more than 3X per inch when comparing a 49" TV vs. the 79" set? Does it take that much more money to build larger TV's or is that just greed?
Without knowing all the facts, I'd say larger sales of the 49" has driven the price to a lower value. While the 79" is still not mass produced to give it a lower value. Same reason the top tier graphics cards are only twice the performance, but 4 times the cost of lower tier cards.

Basically if you are going to buy an item that is not mass produced, you will pay a royalty for it. By mass produced, I mean massively compared to other items.

Name one.
Breaking Bad was not shot in 4K although its the first available 4K series on Netflix.
  • The Hobbit
  • James Bond-Skyfall
  • The Social Network
  • The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
  • District 9
That's just to name a few. Don't use Netflix as a point of reference, they are far behind the curve when it comes to 4K, and their 4K sucks big time, it is over-compressed.

• The Hobbit
  • James Bond-Skyfall
  • The Social Network
  • The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
  • District 9
That's just to name a few. Don't use Netflix as a point of reference, they are far behind the curve when it comes to 4K, and their 4K sucks big time, it is over-compressed.
Monkeys!

Last edited:
The Hobbit was filmed at 48FPS, but that has nothing to do with the filming resolution (which was NOT even close to 4k). None of those others you named were filmed in 4K.
Show me proof otherwise.

As far as Netflix you are correct but its not just because of bandwidth, the content itself is no different then any other current upscaled '4K' shows.

Here 3 movies from Sony for you that were shot in 4K: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/after-earth-among-1st-movies-to-be-shot-shown-in-4k-1.1305890

Other than that research it yourself!

Not that I'm looking to upgrade from my 64' plasma.

But LG wasn't known for high quality sets in the LCD/ Plasma era.

I will wait to see what Samsung and Panasonic will be releasing before it even peaks my interest.

And of course the content has to be there and its not.

Most of my Watching is blue ray and cable TV and none of that is 4k.

But LG wasn't known for high quality sets in the LCD/ Plasma era.
Huh?
LG is certainly better then Panasonic and arguably as good as Samsung (although I will give Samsung the nod but thier pricing is terrible), they've always been a solid HDTV brand and for the price and picture quality they can be hard to beat.

Ironically though, older movies recorded with film can be ported to 4k just fine, am I right?

What's the likelihood that these 4K TV's will drive the costs down for the HD TV's? I'm still waiting for affordable 80+ inch screens.
TVs in that size range are really the only ones that could benefit from 4K. (Or, "benefit the most", if that sits better).

The huge jump in panel size, puts me in mind of the sheer folly of the old 480i (NTSC spec), projection TVs. That said, the pixels on those junkers were the size of marbles.

(IMHO), anything larger that 46", should qualify for 2X the pixel resolution, or 1.41 linear increase in resolution.

The trouble here is, you'd have to broadcast in that standard for it to be of any benefit. I'm pretty sure the FCC isn't going to revamp OTA, (or cable), broadcast standards anytime soon, to humor the 5% or 10% of people with TVs in the size range you describe.
Ironically though, older movies recorded with film can be ported to 4k just fine, am I right?
Well, yes and no. Ostensibly film has enough resolution, (at low ISO speed) (*), but they usually soften up the results, and the standard 35mm movie film is only 1/2 frame of a 35mm camera frame, (24 x 36mm). So, you can port film to digital, but not without thousands of hours of post processing.

People, (IMHO), are simply used to the look of film, and tend to ignore its shortcomings. 4Kcan be stupendous given the right subject matter. BUT, do you really want to see every hair follicle and vein, on "Miss America's milky white thighs. I'm guessing NO. So, out comes the digital blur, or the soft focus filter, and all that excess resolution, gets smushed down, effectively somewhere near 1080p.

(*) The grain in high speed films, is the size of golf balls.

Huh?
LG is certainly better then Panasonic and arguably as good as Samsung (although I will give Samsung the nod but thier pricing is terrible), they've always been a solid HDTV brand and for the price and picture quality they can be hard to beat.

LG better than Panasonic??

Go into the AVS forums and post that you will get laughed at.

Laughed at or not, I don't want anything Panasonic. This is TechSpot not AVS forums, we may have a difference of opinion. Besides what gives AVS forums any more credibility than any of us? I'm sure we have just as much experience, as most of those guys.

LG better than Panasonic??

Go into the AVS forums and post that you will get laughed at.
Speaking as someone who used to box up defective product and send it back, Panasonic was junk. Additionally, their line of, "Technics" receivers, were never quite able to meet their published specs. The turntables, OTOH, worked well, and sold even better.

If you want stone, hard core trash, you have to involve yourself with JVC's product. :moonsallofJapan: Then there's Sharp....:holdsnose:

The only piece of LG I have ATM, is a Blu-Ray burner. I've never burned or played a Blu-Ray disc with it, but the tray drive seems indestructible! I'[ve gotten 1/2 dozen discs in sideways, locked it up, yanked the tray out to unjam them, and it's still kickin'. If it were a Pioneer or Toshiba, it would be long in the trash by now.

We just got a 4k Sony camcorder at my office today. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet since it's been having issues with the SD cards we've been trying to use with it.

Edge lit, how constrained by patents is that? Back lit is the only way forward.

Back