LG's rollable OLED TV is finally on sale, and it's stunningly expensive

midian182

Staff member
TL;DR: Remember LG’s rollable OLED TV that we first saw at CES back in 2019? It’s finally gone on sale in South Korea, and as you might expect, the 4K display is very, very expensive: $87,000. But if you’re willing and able to spend the same amount of money on a television as you would a premium vehicle, you'll get something very different from the norm.

LG’s rollable 4K OLED product, called the Signature OLED R, drew plenty of attention at CES 2019 (it had a prototype unit on show the previous year). It uses a number of slats on the rear of the television that allow it to roll around an internal cylinder inside the stand, with the entire rising/retraction process taking around 10 seconds.

LG says the Signature OLED R offers three viewing formats: Full View, where the device operates like any standard television; Line View, allowing the screen to display time, mood, music selections, and photos when not in use; and Zero View, in which the TV is fully retracted and hidden.

So, what else do you get for that 87-grand outlay? The base certainly sounds nice. In addition to holding the rolled-up set, it doubles as a wool-covered 4.2 channel 100W speaker system and is encased in brushed aluminum, though the lack of solid gold is disappointing.

Buyers can also choose from four colors—Signature Black, Moon Gray, Topaz Blue, or Toffee Brown—and further customize their model with an engraving, such as “Yes, I’m very rich.”

While a rollable TV presents questions over image quality, LG insists the Signature OLED R's picture is no different from its non-rollable OLED offerings, with features such as self-lighting pixel technology and individual dimming control.

There’s no word on whether the Signature OLED R will be released outside of South Korea. LG says it comes with three years of extended service, including twice-yearly visits from technicians to ensure everything is still working optimally.

Permalink to story.

Cannot help laughing at those rigged AD-s of this giant rollable nonsense shown outdoor and near outdoor setups.

What they don't show you is how it is shaking and flapping under any low-wind condition, ready to take off. Nobody in their right mind would want a large-screen TV like this installed outdoor.

Newer and cheaper 4K HDR projectors are the best choice for outdoor setups. And they are only getting better and cheaper. Like BenQ-TK850, is just $1.5k today.

Or you can go super-premium, spend $15k, and get a super-top-notch one from Sony. But $87,000 for a TV panel, is for people who are true manifestation of the fact that money cannot buy you common sense.

Last edited:
Cannot help laughing at those rigged AD-s of this giant rollable nonsense shown outdoor and near outdoor setups.

What they don't show you is how it is shaking and flapping under any low-wind condition, ready to take off. Nobody in their right mind would want a large-screen TV like this installed outdoor.

Newer and cheaper 4K HDR projectors are the best choice for outdoor setups. And they are only getting better and cheaper. Like BenQ-TK850, is just $1.5k today.

Or you can go super-premium, spend $15k, and get a super-top-notch one from Sony. But $87,000 for a TV panel, is for people who are true manifestation of the fact that money cannot buy you common sense.
To a billionaire, $87,000 is like 87 cents to us regular folks. The super wealthy are the target market.

To a billionaire, $87,000 is like 87 cents to us regular folks. The super wealthy are the target market.
You won't find a billionaire who doesn't have a proper, full-size cinema at home, especially in our Covid era. Also, a good cinema setup can last for a number of years, but these fresh TV gadgets, they keep changing every day.

True. I think this product is more a case of, lets advance X technology forward and sell the product at the end. We know it's not going to be a hot cake, but more iterations will get us closer to an end-goal.

That or *****s at marketing thought this is a great idea.

Here`s an even better idea LG, for a product that satisfies the rich people throwing money away. Make it roll into a toilet paper. That way you can also sell more products.

If I am spending $87,000 on this, I would at least expect to be able to hang this thing from ceiling instead of putting it on the floor...!

Hey, remember when the first projection tv's, LCD tv's and LED tv's came out? Granted, they were not THAT expensive, but, they were way more than a "standard tv". In time, if this takes off, the price will come down.

LOL it'll be full of dead pixels and have some fault within first few weeks. Avoid Lucky Goldstar at all costs. Imagine paying that sort of money to a company where QC is random.

You won't find a billionaire who doesn't have a proper, full-size cinema at home, especially in our Covid era. Also, a good cinema setup can last for a number of years, but these fresh TV gadgets, they keep changing every day.
Sure, but this TV is for the guest bedrooms.

OK, first let me say that this TV, is #2 on my list of things to buy, as soon as I buy one of those folding cell phones from the drug cartel guy.

OK look, I just told a whopper, but I can't make myself believe it. So that rules me out on a possible run for the office of POTUS

Getting back to reality, does that monstrosity even have a place where I could plug my "rabbit ears"?

On a, "more practical note", if I had 85 large just laying around, I'd use it as a down payment on one of these

first-production-ssc-tuatara_100735102_h.jpg

(Although at a "base price", of 1.9 million, I'd expect they'd ask a person to pony up a bit more).. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back