LG's UV sterilizer for escalator handrails is a germaphobe's dream come true

midian182

Staff member

LG is responsible for a wide variety of products, from handsets, to televisions, to refrigerators. Now, thanks to its electronics arm, Innotek, the Korean firm has created the world’s first “handrail UV LED Sterilizer,” a device that could stop escalators and moving walkways becoming hotbeds of human filth and germs.

As the name suggests, the product sits above a handrail and destroys 99.9 percent of germs through a process called ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI). With thousands of people wiping their hands across the rails each day, they have become a magnet for bacterial contamination.

Rather than taking the stairs or making a conscious effort not to touch the handrails, the Sterilizer could allow germaphobes to travel on escalators without suffering mild panic attacks.

“The product blocks any sources of infection from spreading by completely destroying the DNA of germs via UV LED light having a wavelength of 278 nanometers(nm). It is also harmless to the human body since it does not use any chemicals or heavy metals,” claims LG Innotek.

The company says the sterilizer can be retrofitted to existing escalators as it is wireless and draws power from the movement of the rail, converting it into electricity. LG claims the device has a lifespan of over 10,000 hours.

No word on how much it will cost or when we’ll start seeing the sterilizers in airports and malls, but LG revealed the device has acquired the CE certificate from the European Union and the KC certificate from South Korea.

Permalink to story.

This is a pretty ingenious idea. I'd imagine that the life span of 10,000 hours is due to the 278nm LEDs, so in theory a simple replacement could make these viable for shopping malls, airports, and just about any moderately traveled areas.

People are germaphobic, which is causing other issues down the road.
When I was a kid in the 60's, everyone got a sniffle...you dealt with it. Then, once
antibiotics got really heavy in the late 70's, to the 80's, every time someone felt the
least little sniffle, they would run to the doctor for "a pill", and doctors would most of
the time, prescribe antibiotics, even though they should have known they wouldn't work
if you had a virus.
Also, when I was a kid, you ate food, grown out of your own garden, or a neighbors garden.
Now, with our work-a-day world, where no one usually is home during the day (ie: it was the
wife who took care of the house), and our connected world where you never have down time,
we eat processed everything. Those processed foods, veggies, usually have all the vitamins
and minerals cooked out, not to mention you aren't eating stuff grown locally, which helps with
allergies, colds and what not because you aren't eating things native to your area.
Now, we have virus, bacteria that are immune to some of the medicines, because if people were
given antibiotics for a bacteria infection, once they started to feel good, they stopped taking it,
which allows the buggers to become resistant.
Yeah, now you can't take a chance. Plus, (and I'm sure marketing/advertising had something to
do with this), they sold the hell out of scrubs, lotions and what not that would "kill 99.9% of this or
that" stuff, kids were required to scrub down with it in schools which added to the problem.

It will probably be some pandemic that wipes out most of the humans in the "western" culture because
those in the 3rd world don't have access to all of this. Heck, they are lucky to get 1 meal a day, wash
in the ditch, and what not, so their immune system, except for AIDS and Ebola, is probably pretty
resistant to a lot of the stuff that makes westerners sick.

Sewage in my city has long been treated with UV (of course only one of many treatments and I believe one of the last) before it goes into the river
I really like this thing, I notice there have been many changes over the years due to germs, one instance, in restaurants over here there used to be a bowl of breath mints by the door, all unwrapped, they are gone, toothpicks are also all now individually packaged

Hmm.. removing almost all exposure from germs could cause auto-immune disorders, so maybe getting sick a bit every now and then is not too bad

Hmm.. removing almost all exposure from germs could cause auto-immune disorders, so maybe getting sick a bit every now and then is not too bad
One thing is that, the other is sharing something with someone living on the streets, scratching their -week without bath- behind and then putting their hand on rails that you later touch, suddenly you went to a food court and WAM! bacteria.

Back