"Limited or No Conectivity"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaMak420

Firstly, please excuse any typographical, or grammatical errors, its after 1AM, and I just got home from this nightmare at work...

ok.. I am not overly knowledgeable when it comes to networks. I can manage my own small 4 computer network... but when it comes to big scary business networks.... i dont think I know enough.

I was charged with the task of tone testing, and labeling, and re-cabling all of our network connections. Everything was going smoothly until I apparently unplugged the wrong cable!

I dont know the proper names of everything so I shall describe to the best of my abilities, our network, and how it works.

Our parent company in Germany, houses all of our shared network drives. Everything we do, goes through Germany, then back to us.

The LAN, seems intact, as I see the little green lights when I plug the cables back in. At the workstation, the error I get is "Limited or no Connectivity." We also have no access to our network drives.

It appears the LAN is fine, but the network connection to Germany is severed. I know that every cable I unplugged, was plugged back in. I also did see one error on one of he server laptops in the back. It said something about "Duplicate Ip address found, Please contact system admin, etc etc "

Does any1 have ANY clue how to restore the connection based on the lame info I have provided? Any help would be great, as I will be in deep deep horse pucky should the entire network be down on Monday morning when everyone arrives to work.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

With Regards,

Me

It said something about "Duplicate Ip address found
Well that's the problem!

Now I'll try to speak very basic (I'm good at that!)

If your network computers automatically picks up their own IP address (ie DHCP enabled)
Then all you need to do, is turn off all the computers and then turn them back on.

But if your network has been manually set up to use a specified IP address (DHCP Disabled) Then you will need to do the following
On the faulting IP computer
Go to Network Connections
Right Click on your Network icon (it probably says disabled)
Left click on Properties
Double Click on TCP\IP.... line
You should see the IP Address

That IP address is also on another computer.
But if set manually, then each computer must be different
So looking at the last number in the IP ie XXX.XXX.XX4 (X is unknown, and 4 is an example, because I don't know the number)
Just change that last number to a number that's not being used (probably just try 9)

Then restart the computer

How did it go?

If it doesn't work still, have a look here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post662504-2.html

It appears the LAN is fine, but the network connection to Germany is severed. I know that every cable I unplugged, was plugged back in. I also did see one error on one of he server laptops in the back. It said something about "Duplicate Ip address found, Please contact system admin, etc etc "
If i'm interpreting the above correctly that may also be a clue.

Certainly start as others indicate and please let us know if machines:
- are configured DHCP
- assign their own IP
- or if your network has some machines doing one and other machines doing the other

But the duplicate IP problem would most probably only affect the two machines on the lan with the duplicate.Not likely to cause loss of communication to Germany (not impossible it can't happen,but unlikely) soo...

Can you confirm there's no communication to Germany?
What is being used as the gateway between your LAN and Germany: A router? or a ?
And if you could check that device for errors and indicate make/model

Well, first off, thank you both VERY much for your help.

I just returned to work this morning to find that everything is now working.

I am thinking they reset the connection on their side.

The network has DHCP enabled, but for some reason no matter how many times I rebooted last night nothing. Unfortunately the problem affected all 75 computers here at the office =/

Now I am posting from work, and everything is fine... I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO relieved.

Thank you again for the replies folks, I thought for sure I was in big big trouble.

Regards

any1 heard that expression... "One step forward, 2 steps back" ?

haha... but I still think I got everything going. Our outbound email is a little screwy, but Germany manages it not us, so i think im off the hook!

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back