Linksys WRT160N (replacing WRT-54G)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawtyger

I've been trying to read reviews of various routers but am only getting confused about the conflicting information and positive and negative reviews.

We currently have a WRT-54G (for the last 4 years). The last two months we have started to play a game for our Nintendo Wii online. It seems on occasion, we experience disconnection problems. We'll have zero problems for a week or two but then for two days straight we experience a problem with staying connected (we can connect and race a race or two, and them - boom, disconnected). We've spoken to our road runner provider and it's not an issue with them.

So. . . we were wondering if perhaps the WRT-54G is just failing and were trying to figure out what to get instead without spending a lot of money. We saw the Linksys WRT160N and were considering it because of it's supposedly extended range. But, while we did see reviews saying wonderful things about it, we also saw reviews saying that the range was no better than the WRT-54G.

I guess we are wondering if the WRT-160N may be a good solution to our occasional disconnection problem?

Our house is medium to large but we use our laptop and the Wii within 50 feet of the current WRT-54G. We've noticed that when we are having disconnection problems with the Wii, that if we are surfing the net around the same time we occasionally have a problem loading a page on the first click. Fortunately, if we click the page again it loads. It's almost like the WRT-54G some working for a second and then starts again intermittently.

Anyway, certainly don't know much about how range of routers work but we are trying to avoid the occasional disconnects we are having with the Wii. Any opinions are welcomed.

have u tested to see if the Wii i losing connection while the Lap top is staying connected?

The "page can't load" issue we get with the internet occurs when we have the Wii disconnection issue. Didn't mention earlier, made sure firmware was upgraded, reset the router, tried a different channel, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back