Live: Sony PlayStation 4 event at E3 (Video)

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony took the stage on Monday evening for their annual E3 press conference just hours after Microsoft revealed pricing and their lineup of games for the Xbox One. For Sony, the biggest question on everyone’s mind heading into the event was whether or not we would finally get to see what the PlayStation 4 hardware looks like.

I’ll go ahead and answer that question up front: we did.

live sony playstation video sony playstation 4 e3 2013

Described as sleek and visually impactful wherever it’s placed, the PS4 features a contrasting flat black surface alongside a bit of gloss and appears to stand vertically or horizontally. It’s tough to accurately compare the two without them side-by-side but it looks much slimmer than the Xbox One.

With that said, here’s what else we learned about the PS4 today.

There are over 140 games in development, we’re told, with more than 100 being available within the first year. The PlayStation 4 won’t impose any restrictions on the use of used games – a huge jab at Microsoft that drew incredible applause from the crowd on hand. Just to be clear, gamers have the right to trade in games at retail, sell them to another person, lend them to a friend or keep them forever. This drew chants of “Sony! Sony!” from the crowd.

And to further put the nail in the coffin, Sony said there was no need for the console to be connected, you aren’t required to check in online and it won’t stop working if you haven’t authenticated within 24 hours. Perhaps best of all, the PlayStation 4 starts at just $399 – a full $100 cheaper than Microsoft’s Xbox One although Sony stopped short of announcing a solid release date.

sony playstation sony video live playstation 4 e3 2013

Sony Pictures is working on an original programming plan with unique access to content via PlayStation Network and PS4. Content will be tailored and selected specifically for things that gamers want and love but again, the company stopped short of sharing any further details.

Sony’s Video Unlimited service will be available on day one with 150,000 of the latest television shows and movies and we also learned that Redbox Instant, pay-per-view events and Flixster will be headed to PS3, PS Vita and PS4 very soon.

These announcements, however, only paled in comparison to the real reason Sony was at E3: to showcase games for the PS4. The company said they have 30 brand new IPs for the PlayStation and wasted little time showcasing one of the new titles, The Order: 1886, from Sony Santa Monica Studios.

Other games high on Sony’s list that were shown briefly in video clips include Killzone: Shadow Fall, DriveClub, inFamous: Second Son and Knack – most of which we are already familiar with from Sony’s PS4 announcement back in February. Killzone, DriveClub and Knack will be PS4 launch titles while inFamous will show up during Q1 2014.

Developer Quantic Dream was next in line with a brief technical demonstration of a title called The Dark Sorcerer – or at least that’s what it appeared to be. Turns out, the “game” was all part of the tech demo and the sorcerer was just an actor in the game – clever. The full 12-minute demo will be available later this week during E3.

Sony spent some time highlighting indie game developers that they are welcoming to the PlayStation family including Tribute Games, Switchblade Monkeys, Young Horses, Klei Entertainment and 17-bit Games, just to name a few. Supergiant Games, creator of Bastion, was on hand to show a new game called Transistor that will debut on the PS4 early next year.

Square Enix showed off a new trailer for Final Fantasy XV in addition to one for Kingdom Hearts III in collaboration with Disney. Both games are coming to the PS4, we’re told, while Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is also coming to the PS3 and the PS4.

Conference-goers were treated to a world exclusive demo of Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag played live on stage although the demo was cut short as the game eventually locked up, forcing Sony to end the demo early and usher in the next demo instead, Watch Dogs. Attendees were treated with several minutes of live game footage which looked extremely impressive and fast-paced. Fortunately this demo went off without a hitch.

PlayStation owners will receive an additional hour of gameplay for Watch Dogs and a special outfit for the protagonist when it launches.

Sports titles are huge on consoles and that’ll be no different with the PS4. Sony showcased footage from NBA 2K14 featuring some acting from Miami Heat star Lebron James talking to his in-game avatar. This demo was a bit shorter than anticipated, however, and was the only sporting game shown during the entire event.

A new partnership with Bethesda will see The Elder Scrolls: Online hit the PlayStation 4 during spring 2014. The game will feature a beta that will be available exclusively first on PS4, Sony said.

A world exclusive trailer for Mad Max was shown from Warner Bros Entertainment and Avalanche Studios. PlayStation gamers will have access to a special pack when the game launches. And if you haven’t already noticed, almost all of these titles were shown in very short clips so there really isn't much to go on.

PlayStation Plus membership will carry over to PlayStation 4, we learned. For less than $5 per month, Sony promises discounted games, cloud saves, automatic game updates, early access to beta programs, instant game collection and immersive multiplayer online for PS4. Does that mean you have to pay for multiplayer now? (Update: Yes, PlayStation Plus is required for multiplayer)

Bungie and Activision had one last thing to showcase – the world gameplay premiere of Destiny. It started with a single player on stage that was soon joined by another. But the live demo jitters weren’t over as Destiny also showed signs of freezing during the demo. It wasn’t as bad as Assassin’s Creed but it was embarrassing nevertheless.

Permalink to story.

Wow Microsoft, wow, your really set on including that kinect aren't you? can't lower the price any more because you are that convinced we all need one. Not to mention the stupid Internet connection and high price, you shot yourself in both knee caps and then after Sony's conference you may as well shoot yourself in the head.

So, PlayStation 4 for me this Christmas I think!

The PS4 looks slightly better than Microsoft's Xbox which looks like a Betamax player

Sony obliterated Microsoft during their conference. I had been considering skipping this generation entirely (not much time for games anymore), but they've got me excited for this product. We'll have to see how the rest of E3 plays out, but it looks like the Playstation 4 is going to be king of the hill this time around.

I've honestly got no favorites since I barely use current-gen consoles that I own. As for the winner between Xbox and PS, we'll see later this year when customers vote with their wallet.

I'm not impressed. If Microsoft hadn't gone with draconian DRM then it would be a close race. Sony only win because they are doing what Microsoft isn't. They didn't have anything revolutionary to show.
It's like they won over the Microsoft fan base but what did they have to offer us they use PC exclusively?

I'm not impressed. If Microsoft hadn't gone with draconian DRM then it would be a close race. Sony only win because they are doing what Microsoft isn't. They didn't have anything revolutionary to show.
It's like they won over the Microsoft fan base but what did they have to offer us they use PC exclusively?

In this day of DRM and all-in-one features, the PS4 is quite revolutionary in the fact that it plays games like always... yet with vastly improved graphics and no BS.

In this day of DRM and all-in-one features, the PS4 is quite revolutionary in the fact that it plays games like always... yet with vastly improved graphics and no BS.
Let me just remind you that there is some BS called "you need ps+ for online multiplayer".
Otherwise, it is still too early to tell what will happen. But unless MS announces something to put them back to par concerning games, Sony has the lead...

It's not like it's actually 100$ cheaper if you want to play multiplayer. You HAVE to cough up money for PS+ if you want to play multiplayer (it's no longer free). The Xbox One comes with a one year membership though, meaning the price difference between the two consoles is 50$. Now, if you're a fan on Kinect, that 50$ more than makes up for it.

I have to admit I was impressed with the Microsoft press conference. Games like Ryse: Son of Rome and Forza 5 looked really good. I even found myself contemplating making Xbox One my next console purchase....

But then the Sony press conference came... and completely blew me away. I'm not a Sony fanboy by any stretch of the imagination (my PS3 is more of a Blu-Ray player than a gaming console for all intent and purposes)... but combining some really great games with no restrictions AND no online authentication... that sold me. Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XV sweetened the deal, to be sure... but the system doing everything that Xbox One SHOULD be doing is what ultimately sold me on it.

If Microsoft was smart, they'd backpedal away from their stance regarding used games and online authentication. Yea, they would take some heat for backing down and following Sony (and Nintendo, as WiiU doesn't have any of this nonsense on it either), but they could PR spin it around and make themselves look like they are listening to gamers and putting gamers first.

Of course... this is Microsoft we are talking about. Being smart isn't necessarily something they have a great track record with doing recently. And speaking of track records... let's not forget Microsoft also doesn't exactly have a stellar track record when it comes to first-iteration console hardware. Both the original XBOX and the Xbox 360 launched with issues (overheating in the case of the former and red-ring-of-death in the case of the latter)... who here can honestly say they will buy an Xbox One at $499 without at least considering the possibility they will end up with a $499 paperweight within six months to a year?

It's not like it's actually 100$ cheaper if you want to play multiplayer. You HAVE to cough up money for PS+ if you want to play multiplayer (it's no longer free). The Xbox One comes with a one year membership though, meaning the price difference between the two consoles is 50$. Now, if you're a fan on Kinect, that 50$ more than makes up for it.
No it doesn't. It comes with a 14 day membership.
And I can't understand the negativity concerning the Kinect. It seems like a free webcam to me, and lets me be even lazier if I want...

Since when is it a fact that online multiplayer on PS4 will require PS+? AFAIK it's only been mentioned as a feature of PS+, not a requirement to have it.

"At its E3 press briefing, Sony confirmed that PlayStation 4 will require PlayStation Plus in order to play games online. This is similar to Microsoft's current approach to online gaming with Xbox Live Gold. At the same time, Sony also confirmed that you'll be able to play all single-player games as well as use all media services without subscribing to PS+. Your current PS3 membership will transfer over to PS4."

source: http://www.ign [.] com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-playstation-plus-required-for-ps4-online-play

Well, that's a bummer. I pay for PS+ (got a good deal), but it's definitely worth it IMO. So many free games...

I really couldn't be bothered with any consoles and would never buy one but if I was to choose one, the PS would seem the logical choice for the moment.

Sony hasn't one anything. The may not come out sooner but later than the Xbox. MS has been winning, like it or not, since they entered the console wars. PS2 was big but MS came out when the PS2 had been out awhile and with anything new, dumba** kids will buy.
Both will more than likely do better than their last go around, especially Sony. They need all the help they can get right now. Disaster 2011/2012 with hacking problems. Not to mention not making money on the PS3 for a very long time. Also may even leave the TV business as Samsung is whooping them in that market.
Sony has still got alot to prove. MS doesn't. MS bread and butter is still computers. Gaming division will likely improve alot and already has but they aren't putting all their chips in it, at least not yet. I've never had a console fail on me. Not one. I have owned almost all of them over the years, including a couple of xbox's and xbox360's. Wish I would have kept some of the old ones but always got rid of them to buy the next one lol.
Time will tell which console will win this generations console war. MS won the last gen by a couple of years. Sony was coming on strong after 2010 but that really bad year hurt them and basically cost them any chance at winning the console war.
PS3 never really was precieved very well. Alot of publishers believed it was to complex to deal with. After a few years things changed but that also let MS get way ahead, a lead they never gave up IMO.
The $100 difference is consoles won't matter. Gamers(or should I just say kids ...lol) just don't care. If they feel a game looks and plays better on one vs the other, they will buy, even if its the more expensive one. Afterall, it's the parent's money and most kids get what they want in todays world. I can say that cause how else do u think Activision has made 3 Billion dollars the last 3 CoDs. It sure wasn't cause the games were great. Mom and dad is how. Parents will buy their kids just about anything if it keeps them from screaming/yelling/fighting. Parents want peace but in reality, they just give in and kids get what they want. Which is why both consoles well do very well. To bad they are still years behind what a "gamer" uses, PC.

Looks horrid.

Microsoft have it on looks, features and possibilities. Being more expensive isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Seems like a good product, or at least judging by all the excitement that surrounds it...

Still, it won't convert PC gamers towards it. It is no longer that expensive having 27" monitor with 2560x1440 that PS4 cannot beat, as it doesn't play games in resolutions better than 1080P. I personally use 30" 2560x1600, and cannot look back on 1080P.

The important thing, PC-s are the closest to adopting 4K in practice, ahead of TV-s. With more games coming out that support 4K and 4K screens getting cheaper quickly, PS4 will remain to be a toy, because this is what it is supposed to be anyway, but it's a nice one, I will give it that :)

Back