Logitech unveils its first vertical mouse, the MX Vertical

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: If, like me, you find your hand/wrist achy and cramping after a long day of work, Logitech could a have a solution in the form of the MX Vertical—its first vertical mouse. It might look far from your standard mouse, but the company says it was designed with ergonomic experts to reduce forearm strain and wrist pressure.

Featuring a 57-degree angle, the MX Vertical’s handshake-like grip position can reduce muscular activity by up to 10 percent compared to a regular mouse, according to Logitech.

The MX vertical is compatible with a variety of hand sizes, and its texturized rubber surface should ensure there’s no slippage. Using such an unusual mouse after years of operating traditional peripherals means getting accustomed to it can take some time, but early reviews say it really does reduce the pains associated with excessive mouse use.

Logitech’s device features a 4000 DPI sensor and there’s a button on the top to switch between higher and lower settings. It charges via a USB Type-C port, and Logitech says it will work for a full four months when fully juiced. Connection to a PC is done through Bluetooth or Logitech’s Unifying Receiver USB dongle, or you can connect directly using the included USB Type-C cable. It also supports Logitech Flow, which lets users switch computers just by moving the mouse pointer to the end of the screen and allows the seamless transfer of text, image, and files.

A couple of caveats with the MX Vertical is that it’s obviously not going to be great for fast-action, first-person shooter games. And at $99.99, it’s not cheap—but if it helps relieve strain as well as it promises, that seems like a small price to pay.

The MX Vertical can be preordered today from Logitech’s website and ships in September.

Permalink to story.

So they propose to move entire hand instead of two fingers only?
What about vertical keyboard? Or may be vertical piano keyboard? Oh, wait..

And that 'look how creative the process of creating' video.. :))

Yep, it does look like you need to move the entire hand, not really convincing.
Have anyone tried using a trackball to prevent RSI?

This makes me wonder how it works for those with carpal tunnel from typing. I don't have carpal tunnel, but this design makes me feel like it would overwork the upward movement of holding hands above the keyboard.

The mouse also looks like it would weigh significantly more than a standard mouse. I would think my wrist/tendons would ache after a while.

I wonder if they will make it for lefties.

Same question! I know when someone wants me to "fix" their computer, the first thing I do when I sit down is move the mouse to the left side (I can actually use either, but prefer left), and then say ALL FIXED. They'll look up and say you didn't do anything. Ummm yes I did, you were using the mouse on the WRONG side. Left handers use the "right" side of their brain :)

Yep, it does look like you need to move the entire hand, not really convincing.
Have anyone tried using a trackball to prevent RSI?
I have tried a trackball. Used one when I was a part time computer user (electronics repair). I loved it then. When I went into IT work, the mouse became a problem. I tried going back to the trackball, and the pain got worse. I love a trackball, but I wouldn't use it a lot. I now use a vertical mouse and have very little discomfort. I like the look of the Logitech, though because of the thickness of it. I might have to try it. The secret to the vertical mouse is not the amount of movement, but the angle of your hand. It works.

We support a lot of people with mouse types which run the gamut: roller mouse, joystick, vertical, trackball, etc. People with different arm/wrist/elbow problems respond to each differently and one carpal tunnel person found after trying out a few options that swapping out a regular mouse L to R worked best for her to alleviate the strain.
For me I find the mouse the best as I have no debilitating problems (yet...) because the mouse is more precise. You use the shoulder, elbow, wrist and fingers together for differing levels of control from coarse to fine. All the other mouse types use only a subset of those in an effort to take strain off a the missing one.
That said, I found a vertical mouse like this one to be quite comfortable and natural to use though without the fine control of the fingers, it probably would take more time to get used to. That and it felt like I was using my shoulder more than when using a regular mouse.

I foresee one potential annoyance with a "vertical" mouse:

Pressing the mouse buttons is likely to "push" the mouse to the left while clicking, so you may find yourself missing the object you're trying to click on from time-to-time as the pointer is moved during clicking. Most of the time, this won't be a problem, but I foresee it happening often enough to where it could become annoying (I remember something similar when Macs required you to push down on the front of your mouse to "click" instead of using buttons.)

Clicking *down* on mouse buttons avoids this issue. Personally, I just use a trackball. :D

Then you should check out something like this.
https://www.contourdesign.com/product/rollermouse-red/

This one is pretty expensive, but I've seen people at work with roller bars like this instead of mice. Since it's needed for work I think your company should pay for it. ;)

Hmmm... ;)

That one is cheapier and is on the market for longer...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJEN4ZE/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20
Forgive me, but that looks more like a blender than a mouse, upon first glance. :p

But thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at reviews for the two and see comparisons of overall build quality and durability - longevity is important to me in a mouse, I don't like to replace them every few months or even every year (It's why I've had my G502 for around 3 years now, without problems).

Back