LogonUI.exe fails at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasterfraker

Hi

SO I have had problems with faulty memory for a few months. I replaced the memory sticks and for a while everything was fine but now I'm having trouble again and this time (unlike the other times) Memtest is giving me 20.000 errors on first pass and Vista Memory Diagnostics detects hardware problems. I think the connectors are at fault and I will get my PC to the shop next week (it's still under garantee) but one of my crashes caused some other problem I haven't managed to fix.

Everytime I try to start the PC, I get to a black screen just before the desktop appears and then nothing. I can only start in safe mode. I check my event viewer and found that SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE was damaged and consequently LogonUI.exe fails at startup.

My question is: How to repair/replace/bypass LogonUI.exe?
I tried System Restore but it doesn't seem to do any good since I haven't been able to start up normally no matter which Restore Point I choose.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

thanks for the reply Mflynn. I have solved the Logon failing but now it seems every time I try to start in normal mode, my PC freezes after a few seconds once the desktop appears. As I said before, I have a recurring memory hardware problem so it might be that. I just wanted to get past the logon problem so that the shop guys wouldn't just think that I was another computer illiterate client bringing in their PC for a windows problem. ;)

I'll bring the computer to the shop tomorrow and hope they don't keep it forever. At worst it's a connector problem with the memory stick, shouldn't take too long, right?

thanks for your help

Troubleshooting the problem now isn't going to accomplish anything if the computer is going to the shop tomorrow. When you get it back, if you need help, then we'll start over with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back