Long delay in posting

SNGX1275

When I'm replying to a thread it takes many seconds to post (~10 at times). This seems particularly bad if it is a reply on the News forum, but really its happening everywhere.

It happens on Safari on OS X, and Chrome on Windows 7, regardless of whether I'm posting from home or at work.

Update: Posting this thread went through almost instantly.

Same here, and it is not random occurrence. One out of ten post may (emphasize may) post immediately. Since I have grown accustomed to this happening, I can usually prevent double posting. I can attest to this being the #1 cause of all my (and probably everyone else's) double posts.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm afraid we've tried numerous things and haven't been able to detect the issue in code and server load is usually pretty low. We are using solid state storage, so that shouldn't be a huge problem unless the drives have started to write slower and then the solution would be somewhat longer term (moving to a new server, which we plan to do later this year). We have also played a bit with database settings which we know are optimized for faster reads than writes, but so far, nothing...

There are also the times when posts are added instantaneously (as it should be), and yet there's no apparent reason for the difference in server behavior.

Yea I've been having the same problem as well lately. There are times where it literally take 10+ seconds to make a post on the forum. Its random though because right now my posts are instantaneous.

Ok, glad to see it isn't just me. My work ISP and my home ISP are the same, so I got a little concerned maybe it was them.

Edit - This post went instantly.

Indeed, response and slowdowns appear to be random.

If possible please help us to see if we can narrow this down... when posting comments in the next couple of days, can you see if a pattern if formed?

(1) If you post from the forum or the news section?

(2) If you are posting in the news comments, article comments or anywhere else in the forum. News comments and Articles/Reviews forums have additional queries being performed when posting.

Took about 2 seconds on a news article from the forums just now. Far better than the 10s I was seeing this morning (and at times in the last several days).

Since we all know that computers are the work of wizards and magical blue smoke, we should probably leave out some beers and snacks to cheer them up.

For me, ive noticed that posting takes roughly 2-3 seconds in the mornings (Central Time for me U.S) but around the afternoons it starts taking around 5+ seconds. Maybe just coincidence of course but that is the only pattern I have noticed with the regard of time frame.

The other thing is that ive noticed that editing posts can take an excessive amount of time when the basic posting is slow. I have had some edits take in excess of 15 seconds just to change one word or letter.

Might I add that this also extends to the like system. I don't know if it is integrated in the code the same way as posting.

Btw I just posted on the Flappy Bird article, it took me about 12 seconds to post my response when a few minutes before that it took 2 seconds on another article.

"On another article" means also a news comment? Are you posting from the forum or the main site?

I want to establish if the delay occurs only or mostly on news comments, or it happens anywhere in the forum.

Thanks!

"On another article" means also a news comment? Are you posting from the forum or the main site?

I want to establish if the delay occurs only or mostly on news comments, or it happens anywhere in the forum.

Thanks!
Home page, clicking an article, switching to forum mode, and then posting/editing.

That's normally how I do it.

Yes I was speaking about another home page article (The Nvidia 800 Series Mobile GPU article to be specific).

Test post

Edit: Posted instantly. Off to find something I need to comment on in the news.

2nd Edit: Posted to the same news article both from the article itself and the forums.. Both were delayed about 1.5-2 seconds.

Last edited:
Are we sure that it simply isn't a case of the robots and guests are flocking to active articles, and that could be slowing the system down?

Posted a reply to a news article from the forum just now, took about 10 seconds.

Edit - this post however went instantly.

Posted a reply to a news article from the forum just now, took about 10 seconds.

Edit - this post however went instantly.
Everybody, (and that includes me), should really consider how important what they have to say, demands the immediacy of thought to web page they seem to be clamoring for.

I think most of our crap could probably stand to wait at least a minute, maybe more...;) A good minute or so!

Thanks for reporting back guys. Moving forward, could you try to see if slow posting happens outside of news/article comments?

@captaincranky, don't troll this post, thanks.

@captaincranky, don't troll this post, thanks.
I'm actually not trolling this thread. My point is, different software works at different speeds under different loads.
The same software can work at different speeds under different loads.

I'm assuming the forum software is data base heavy.

My photo management software is also data base heavy and slows dramatically as the data base increases in size. It slows down, even when doing single operations on small groups of items!

I addressed this at @ post #18. No one felt compelled to answer it.

TBH though, I'm not entirely certain this software was ever much faster than it is now, posting comments, or doing edits.

I suppose I should sit around with a stopwatch too but.... I kind of expect a long post to take longer to go up than a one liner.

I just got a 503 gateway error about 30 minutes ago. Those happen from time to time as well. Again though, I'm not sure if it's worth starting a thread over.

(Not sure if it was 502, 3, or 4).

Last edited:
Is it me or is the site starting to post slower again? Seems to be just as sluggish as the old site, taking 5-10 seconds to post or like someone.

Edit:
Ohh Gee, imagine that my complaint posted instantly.

Is it me or is the site starting to post slower again? Seems to be just as sluggish as the old site, taking 5-10 seconds to post or like someone.

Edit:
Ohh Gee, imagine that my complaint posted instantly.
Yeah the sluggishness is kind of annoying.

Back