Looking for IT self-training info

ptim

I'm not sure where this should be, but, I'm looking for either books, online sites, etc... for desktop support, I'm trying get a part time position at our office, with the IT Dept. I want them to know that I'm at least trying to show some initiative in training my self.

Thanks

Start here, by evaluating how many queries you can give a full and accurate response.
Read thoroughly Scott Mueller's book on upgrading and repairing Computers, 18th editiion, then get your self good books on Office 2007 and 2003, and memorize them. Look at the top 20 book list at Amazon.Com and be able to answer 70 percent of the questions they raise.
Be sure the working people in your company will support a decision to select you by being a nice person and a terrific listener.
Read the posts at all the other tech support sites.
Read the support sites for every computer and printer your company owns... All the explanations that come with the driver downloads, particularly Chipsets, BIOS, and Video graphics.
When you no longer feel like you need to post a question such as your "Looking for Info" then you are ready.

When in doubt for books, Amazon is the answer :)

I found a lot of programming books (specifically PHP) on there...but I didn't actually buy them from Amazon, I just used it as a reference (I just get the e-books online :p...but I can't talk about how :O)

I subscribed to these blogs: http://blogs.techrepublic.com
And I get an email once a day on IT stuff, it's actually very interesting
Some of them even describe how to secure an IT position

But I do agree with raybay's first line, "Start here"
Showing a potential employer that you support a worldwide respected tech forum, will help you.

Also you should be fully up to date with MS (everything) It would be sad not to know some real basics like what's SP3, and Serv 2008 awareness (Hyper-V just became final !)

The advantages of Amazon are the long lists, and the reviews, information on publication dates, and the fact that they list new editiions before anybody else.
Of course you are expected to buy from the best source. I buy mine used, but often from the vendors who are found through Amazon...
because there is only so much time in a day, and a once source stop with reliable vendors is easier and cheaper in the long run.

Back