Lost video output while playing game

Bigjoe86

Hey everyone, I'm new here and earlier while I was playing skyrim on my pc it started running slow then all of a sudden I lost video output.

I use an old TV in my game room for a monitor and that still works flawlessly, I've blown dust out with a small air compressor and went with a vacuum around the fans to get it as dust free as possible with no success, It still turns on and boots normally,doesn't get hot, no beeps indicating issues during boot so I'm really not sure what the problem could be besides maybe the graphics card died?

Any input would be appreciated. Videos and surfing the internet just aren't nearly as satisfying when I'm confined to my phone.

This is a desktop I built about 5 years ago which does need some upgrading but at this point ill be happy to just be able to use it again till I can afford to upgrade it to what I want

Does the computer have on-board video and a separate graphics card or just a separate video card?

It does have both on board graphics and separate graphics card.

I tried connecting to the motherboard with a dvi cable I think it is(plugs into blue port) and get the same result, boots up normally but screen just says no signal found, the same as connected via HDMI to the card itself.

Would it be the motherboard thats died since it won't output video there either?

I appreciate the feedback and any help you may be able to provide

Do you hear even a single beep as the computer boots? This single beep means the the bios has passed all its tests

Try pulling the video card. See if it boots up with video from the onboard video Chip. If not it may be the monitor.

Pulled the video card and still same thing, I'm using an old Samsung TV for a monitor and it still works perfectly with anything but my computer so I'm not sure what the problem is

For the hell of it I tried it at a friends place on an actual monitor both with HDMI from video card and dvi or whatever the blue port is called and same thing there. Its not detecting any video output from either the video card or motherboard. I'm completely puzzled at this point..

I have never used the on board video before so I have no idea if its on and if not I have no idea how to do it if not

Just did a google search and seen if I remove the battery from the motherboard it should do a hard reset kind of thing and may make some sort of difference. I just took the battery out and will put it back in in the morning and see if I get anything different with anything.

Thanks for sticking through this with me, I appreciate it. I put the computer together a few years ago with YouTube and its worked perfectly without any problems at all till now so I'm really outta my comfort zone but willing to try anything and learn for the future

After putting the battery back in the mobo and trying with both HDMI via video card and other connection I noticed that the fan isn't spinning on my power supply when I turn it on.

After noticing this I turned it off.and back on and thought I'd look at the lights on the front,DVD drive lights up for a few seconds but there is only one or two flashes from the hard drive I'm assuming it is (red light) then it.seems its just the one fan spinning on the back of the tower and none of the other 4 seem to he doing anything.

Could this all be caused from.a failing power supply?

Guess I'll be picking up a new power supply tomorrow to try, thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it

update

Bought a new power supply and installed it yesterday, had a gift card I didn't use from Christmas so figured it was a good time for a video card upgrade too.

By the time I got around to putting in the new power supply it was time to get the kids at daycare and get ready for a long drive to visit family.

I figured id take the computer with me and try it at my parents place and go from there.

New power supply works but still same results, for the hell of it I tried it with the new video card, same thing, took the video card out and tried again, same thing, removed the cpu and tried it expecting id at least get something out of it and still getting the same results.

I figured id check my dads computer and see what he has in his for a cpu socket and luckily it is the same so I tried my cpu in his computer which I know works and it was doing the same thing, I then tried his cpu on my motherboard with just the cpu, motherboard and power supply and still had nothing from mine.

At this point im thinking that both my motherboard and cpu are toast as I should have got something, right?

Back