Loud Noise from PC. Don't think it is the HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently upgraded the ram in my pc from 1.5gb to 2.5gb as it seemed to be getting pretty slow. I was expecting a pretty big jump in performance but it doesn't seem to have happened.

The pc can sometimes be faster than it was and sometimes it really drags. There is also an intermittent loud noise which i believe is coming from the fan and when this happens the pc is slow.

I took out the fan and cleaned all the dust from it but this noise still starts every couple of minutes and the pc becomes slow.

Any ideas?

Two things to consider...
The amount of memory doesn't have much to do with speed unless some process can specifically use that extra memory. You can to more things well, but not necessarily more rapidly.

You system will utilize all memory at the speed of the slowest module. If you have some memory that is value ram or other inexpensive ram, the timings could be significantly different than the best brands and models.

Your system only uses what memory it needs, not what you want it to use. As long as the RAM meets the requirements of the motherboard, it will not protest.

If you want some programs to run at optimum performance levels, all memory must be identical. It is wise to buy matched sets of RAM from the same manufacturer at the same time to get the ultimate performance. Top memory is already sold in matched sets in the same plastic wrap. Otherwise, you have to look at the timings and other information posted on the package or the label.

Two things to consider...
The amount of memory doesn't have much to do with speed unless some process can specifically use that extra memory. You can to more things well, but not necessarily more rapidly.

You system will utilize all memory at the speed of the slowest module. If you have some memory that is value ram or other inexpensive ram, the timings could be significantly different than the best brands and models.

Your system only uses what memory it needs, not what you want it to use. As long as the RAM meets the requirements of the motherboard, it will not protest.

If you want some programs to run at optimum performance levels, all memory must be identical. It is wise to buy matched sets of RAM from the same manufacturer at the same time to get the ultimate performance. Top memory is already sold in matched sets in the same plastic wrap. Otherwise, you have to look at the timings and other information posted on the package or the label.

No problem. I have dual channel and i have matched 2 1gb modules in one of the channels not the same brand and matched 2 256mb in the other channel they are the same brand and originally came with the computer.

Any insight into the loud fan noise??

the fan has a label,,open that label,clean with dump clothe,,the apply little oil from 3in1 or another oil...
also it could be the cd/dvd drives,,unplug then and clean their slots..btw dust everythng inside out..

When your PC slows down, that is most likely because your CPU is under stress. This would also cause increased heat output, leading to a louder CPU fan to cope with the heat. There is a great thread HERE about making your fan work more quietly.

NEVER NEVER put 3-in-1 Oil in any computer fan or component. It is the incorrect lubricant. It removes or dilutes the correct lubricant. Further, you have the risk that the oil will vaporize and spread to cause harm to other components.
The fans are available for as little as $9 to $12 and similarly in Europe, Asia, and Latin America.

No need to put your system at risk when it needs a fan replacement. I wise owner will replace all key fans every year, and certainly every three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back