Low FPS Guild Wars 2

Main Board: KN9(NF-MCP55 series) (FSB: 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s))
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
GPU: GeForce GTX 460
Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400
OS: Win7 SP1 (w/ as few background processes, services as possible; disabled
with GameBooster)

Running GW2 with these specs is yielding FPS of >25 on medium-high settings. High action requires going to settings on low to be playable. I would think I could run on all High with maybe shaders and shadows on Medium with this setup. Thoughts?

[Apologies if this should be in a different forum]

Well you do have a fairly old system so I'd say it's no big surprise that you struggle to run modern games.
a dual core athlon, DDR2 ram, and a GTX 460 are rather archaic.
did you have an upgrade in mind?

Eh, I suppose you're right. I only just got the 460 a year ago, so wasn't thinking it was that old. Been out for 2 yrs I see. Think I'd see a large enough boost keeping the 460 with a main board and cpu upgrade? Say quad or eight core?

Eight core for gaming is blatantly overkill, the most you'd need is quad. the motherboard doesn't have a huge influence when it comes to gaming, but it would be very wise to upgrade your RAM.
that being said, I would upgrade the CPU+mobo+RAM. the 460 is still alright at gaming, but it doesn't need to be changed urgently.
give us a budget to work with and we'll find you something.

I know my RAM is pretty slow. You think that's where I'm lacking the most? OK, so what would you do if you had say $200 - $250 or less to work with? I prefer AMD unless you can convince me to switch.

I would say for under 200-250 this would help greatly.(based on wether or not you can support a full atx board, might be different. this is using a micro.)
motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138345

CPU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996

Ram.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231310

which all adds up to $180-$190 depending on CPU or $207 if you double the ram to 8GB at 1333. Built a few computers over the years. always go with newegg for there good prices. While ram does make a difference getting a newer CPU will also help greatly, which required a new motherboard.

I know my RAM is pretty slow. You think that's where I'm lacking the most? OK, so what would you do if you had say $200 - $250 or less to work with? I prefer AMD unless you can convince me to switch.
okay, and excellent idea sticking with AMD, there are a good company. you will not be disappointed.

Cool, I like that you came in below $200, that's definitely do-able. I do have a question though:

2×240pin DDR3 800/1066/1333(supportted by CPU model)/1600(OC)/1866(OC)

I get this means this board supports a max 2 sticks DDR3 RAM of 800, 1066, & 1333 speeds. What's the 1600, 1866 OC? Overclock?

I believe that means overclock-able if the CPU allows it. might have to also change it in bios. never really done that. Though if you spent another 30 on the motherboard and if you case supports ATX you could get a Asus 9 series board. Which AMD has already said will be able to support the new FX piledriver coming out this year that will replace the FX bulldozer and will also support the steamroller coming out around 2015 that will replace the FX piledriver. so if you want spend 30 more, get a motherboard that will last 3 more years worth of updating what will probably last another couple of years after that, so 5-6 years in total, get either of the ones I listed and later get the FX steamroller in 2015 which will last a couple of years. Those are two options. Though the first one will also last a good while as the FX bulldozer and Phenom II are still plenty for gaming and should last another 3-4 years. Just can't upgrade to the Piledriver and steamroller later with the micro motherboard.
sorry if I confused you.
PS. the first one I listed option wise in the last past before this one is what I am planning on doing soon, either the FX quad core or 6 core as I still have a Phenom II X2. Prices I listed for totals do not include shipping, probably another 10 dollars.

Back