Lytro drastically improves the light-field camera with $1,599 Illum

Scorpus

Staff member

It's hard to describe Lytro's first commercially available light-field camera a 'hit'. The technology packed into the strange rectangular prism piece of hardware, which allowed you to fully refocus photos after they're captured, was certainly cool, but the image quality and other quirks kept all but a few early adopters away.

The company hasn't given up though, today unveiling their second-generation light-field camera, which they've named the 'Illum'. Lytro has designed the Illum to actually look like a camera this time, complete with a 30-250mm zoom lens that features an impressive constant f/2.0 aperture.

lytro illum camera light field

Lytro boasts that an equivalent Canon lens would have 22 pieces of glass and weigh over 3.5 kg, but thanks to the light-field sensor and special processing software, the Illum only needs 13 pieces of glass to achieve great results. By cutting down on the number of elements, the camera weighs under a kilogram.

If you want to use a flash with the Illum, Lytro has you covered, as they've placed a hot shoe on the top edge. On the rear you'll find a four inch touchscreen panel for composing and reviewing shots, as well as changing settings. The camera is also blessed with USB 3.0, an SD card slot and Wi-Fi connectivity.

lytro illum camera light field

Inside the Lytro Illum is a 40 megaray light sensor, up from 11 megarays in the original Lytro, plus a Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 SoC to do all the processing. Light field cameras operate in a fundamentally different way to traditional cameras, which is why talking about ray counts is more important than pixel counts. When converting photos taken by the Illum to standard pixel-packed shots, expect something in the range of 3-4 megapixels.

The Illum will go on sale in July for a price tag of $1,599, with a $100 discount for pre-orders. This is a hefty price to pay for a non-professional camera, so let's hope the impressive lens and improved sensor makes this light-field camera one that's worth buying.

Permalink to story.

What kind of zoom can it do? It says it's got zoom lens, but no mention of magnification.

Looks interesting. I may snag one since the price isn't too high.
I clearly saw a price tag of $1600. You may consider it 'not too high' for a non professional experimental camera but I'm afraid you'll be part of the minority.

I must be part of the minority then. $1600 isn't a big investment for me in the grand scheme of things. The 9k I spent on the 1D C was though. But then again, I'm worth it and can afford it.

Unfortunately this article neglects to mention this camera's amazing capabilities: it can adjust the perspective, depth of field, and focus of a picture AFTER it's been captured. That means you can screw up a photo and then fix it to look utterly professional in post processing. With "normal" DSLRs, if you screw up a shot, you can tweak it slightly with RAW format, but not much. This camera lets you change the actual photo. That's unheard of. It can also create tilt-shift effects and other unique things that don't require separate lenses worth thousands of dollars.

It's unlike anything on the market. $1600 is a steal for this.

And for the record, I'm not some Lytro employee/booster. I'm simply a tech geek with a love of photography and tech toys. This thing is exciting, but I doubt I can convince my wife to let me drop the money, sadly.

Interesting... I'm glad they had the capital to pursue a second opportunity with this technology, considering their first design was so utterly weird. It looked like a kaleidoscope.

Back