Machine_check_exception

plasma dragon00

Geez i dont evem know where the right place to post this would be.

Before the windows splash screen (xp pro sp3) I get the stop code MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. ram seems fine, tested each stick in different slots. Ran ubuntu fine. Memtest86 reports no errors. unplugged dvd drive, still get the stop error

(just ran windows in debugging mode. the code is STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x80546E70, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F))

I wonder if, given all that, the SATA controller on my mobo somehow bit the dust? Every time i boot my pc after a power off, I have to reboot it once because the mobo says ERROR LOADING DISK, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. It doesnt recognize my drive on the first boot ever. also the mobo never detects the other sata drive i have installed, but windows does. a few days ago i rebooted and mobo threw "Error loading Operating System". turned it off for a few hours and it was fine.

Next step would be to reinstall windows, i suppose, see how that reacts.

Basic specs: Mobo - Asus A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2x 1TB SATA drives (non RAID)
1x IDE DVD burner
nVidia Geforce 8800GT vid card
500w PSU

ps - my mobo no longer recognizes my microsoft wireless keyboard (usb) as a device to control input in BIOS. windows, again, recognizes it fine, but as far as my mobo is concerned it doesnt exist.

Suppose i should disconnect my front panel usb too. they broke. physically. idk how they even did that...

Interesting thing... I do believe I just ruled out the SATA controller and anything involving the hard drive.

I have a CD I burned, it is called Hiren's BootCD. It is a bootable disk chock full of diagnostic tools, PLUS a mini Windows XP install that runs in RAM. When I booted the mini XP installation, guess what - it crashed, again.

I am using a different cd drive to run it, same IDE cable though. ill unplug the ide cable from the mobo and see what it does...

Edit - unplugged all unnecessary peripherals, still getting BSOD. I unplugged speakers, USB headset, ethernet cable, mouse receiver, keyboard/mouse receiver, an empty IDE cable and also unplugged the one with a drive on it. STILL getting errors.

So to summarize so far - Ive ruled out all external peripherals
HIGHLY doubt it is the HDD or SATA controller.
Ruled out cd/dvd drives/ide cables
Tested each ram stick individually in different slots, errored with both.

So leaves me with video card (no integrated graphics)
something on the mobo
cpu
power supply
both ram sticks are bad? the likelihood of that... i dont think so...

oh and I DID unplug my front panel usb, which is physically broken, and no change.

Do you have minidumps available for analysis? You can find them in C:\windows\minidump. Please zip latest 5 dumps and attach the file with your next post. Regards

Hi

Hi this kind of error appears 2 times in one month
and I uploaded the minidump

cpu- AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.6GHz
mobo-AsRock K8-Upgrade 1689
ram-512
hdd- System 160gb pata , Storage 750gb sata
psu-400w , I think its Chine brand
vga-Inno3D GeForce FX 5700LE
odd-n/a
soundcard -Soundblaster Live

Oddly enough there is no minidump folder in C:\Windows. I feel like I am SoL on this one, to the point where I am already looking up new parts on newegg.

My pc is a bit dated as it is... im gonna try reinstalling windows probably, but i highly doubt thats gonna get me anywhere.

i ordered a new mobo/cpu/ram. though i didnt quite have the money for it, it is an upgrade i really needed. and now i can run win7 on it. got a phenom II and 6gb ddr3 ram :D

@Tibolos
Please start your own thread, so you can get appropriate help.

@plasma
That is strange, is the system in question is configured to record minidumps?

Also do stress test your graphic card with OCCT (Geforce 8xxx series card means it is reasonably old and may be failing).

My brother's laptop and my pc both run the same version of XP, it is a custom made disk with some unnecessary junk cut out of it. I just checked, and go figure it is configured to not write minidumps >_>

Ill try that OCCT

Edit - cant use OCCT. I have no way to boot windows >_> I might be able to try it in my parents computer though.

Edit 2 - anyways, I just popped in my old 6800 GT which doesnt work well, but still does regardless. POSTed, bluescreened, same MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. So I dont think its the vid card, thank god (I just ordered 462 dollars of new parts for my pc. I am now a broke college student)

Okay ....... well, try booting into safe mode, if the system boots, then uninstall your old nVidia card's drivers, remove any left over files with Driver Sweeper (available in TS download section), and then try to boot again (don't forget to set system to record minidumps). Hopefully if/when the system crashes it may give us some clues. Regards

Can't boot into safemode. I have zero access to Windows past the screen to select how you want to boot it.

Regardless, my new parts are coming today, so these will just be sitting in a closet for a while. So case, closed, thanks for your help Archean :)

Back