Major mess with my Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyP

Hey Folks, This is my first time posting here, any kind of advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I have a old model Compaq Armada M300 (1999) that I am very attached to. It has always been enough for what I need it for (I'm a writer) and thus I've never felt the need to upgrade. That being said, my comp was slowing down and generally being a pain, so a friend suggested I reinstall XP. I started that last night and about 50% in I got an error message saying something could not be installed properly, and that I could skip it, but it may cause problems later. So I went ahead and skipped it. Anyway XP finished installing, but at the main user login prompt I got an error "0x80070002" meaning there was something up with my Registry editor. so, I went on safe mode, 'corrected' the problem and restarted the computer. Now, My comp gets frozen at the blue "Wnidows XP Pro" blue splash screen, the one that pops up before the main login screen and I cannot go any further. Even when I try safe mode, the same thing happens. Furthermore, I cannot boot XP from the disc! I would try to simply reinstall the whole thing over again, but it's as if my comp is not recognizing the disc. I'm using an external CD ROM if it makes any difference.

Thanks to anyone who can help! :)

It's either a bad CD or CD drive, bad RAM, bad hard drive..

Try the CD and the CD-ROM drive with another computer (if possible). Test your RAM and the hard drive with memtest86(+) and the drive diagnostics utility from the HD maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back