Making digital copy?

circusboy01

I just bought a movie. It came in Blu-ray--DVD/Digital copy. I am trying to make a digital copy. As per instructions. I inserted the Digital copy into my Dvd Drive, and clicked on transfer digital copy from the menu ( actually my menu says Run Digital copy) But it is the correct button.
Followed screen instructions to transfer copy to PC. But. I got You must upgrade Security components of wmp. Click here to get Security Updates. When I "click here" I get Windows Media Technoligies Security components with a button for the upgrade. But the button is faded and not clickable.
Is there a way to unfade the button so it's clickable again? Thanks Ray

( and you thought I only badgered you over in the Security Forum ;-)

What browser are you using? I just tried it using Firefox & Chrome, both didn't work. But work when I used IE9.

The website is this: http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp

Is this the same web site you tried?

I should have thought of that. The other day I wanted to download RealPlayer so I could download You Tube Videos. Couldn't do it using FF or GC. But could with IE. going to try it now Thanks Ray

Tried it using IE. But still got the faded upgrade button.Thought maybe I don't have IE9 . Dont remember because I seldom use IE. Tried to download IE9 for Windows7 64 bit. Wouldn't let me, because I already have a more recent version of IE. I figure if IE9 worked for you a more recent version should work for me. Right?
I wouldn't think that downgrading to IE9 would do any good. But if you think so I sure will Ray

Hmmm...IE9 is the latest.

Found this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n-on-web/da05c4f4-0e90-4bae-992b-238b7cc3f507

Looks like you can copy that movie from the disc to the PC, when you play it w/ WMP, it'll prompt you for the upgrade w/o going to the web site.

That's weird that it would tell me I had a more recent version. I went to the link you sent One of the people had the same exact problem I have. Faded upgrade button and all. Only difference. Their not running Windows 7.After a break for food. I'm going to follow the same instructions that were given in the link Ray. Just looked at your post again. disk to PC are you saying I should Play the DVD using WMP instead of choosing Digital copy?

Just looked at your post again. disk to PC are you saying I should Play the DVD using WMP instead of choosing Digital copy?

It's whichever disc that contains the file you wanted to transfer to your PC. Copy that file to the HDD using explorer, play it w/ WMP and it should take care of the problem (according to MS's forum).

That's weird that it would tell me I had a more recent version. I went to the link you sent One of the people had the same exact problem I have. Faded upgrade button and all. Only difference. Their not running Windows 7.After a break for food. I'm going to follow the same instructions that were given in the link Ray. Just looked at your post again. disk to PC are you saying I should Play the DVD using WMP instead of choosing Digital copy?

Trying DVD instead of Digital didn't work must have not understood instructions correctly. In the link you sent me towards the bottom I see that Volunteer J helped Fernfellow get a copy. Being 65 and a recovering alcohol / narcotics abuser. Some days I'm smarter than others
Can you please try to explain to me just what Volunteer Js instructions were? Thanks Ray

It's whichever disc that contains the file you wanted to transfer to your PC. Copy that file to the HDD using explorer, play it w/ WMP and it should take care of the problem (according to MS's forum).

Sorry Rabbit01
Don't know how to copy file to HDD. Don't even know what HDD is Ray

HDD = Hard drive.

O.K. Thanks. One more quick question. Once you make a Digital copy. Can you burn it to a blank DVD disc? I was thinking I could have a friend make a Digital copy then burn a copy for me
Sorry mailpup thought I was talking to Rabbit01. But if you have an answer to the question I'll sure take it. Thanks Ray

With the disc that has the WMV file that you want to copy in the drive, open My Computer, right click on the DVD drive and select open. You should now see the files on the disc. Locate the WMV file and copy that to your hard drive. Open the movie file w/ WMP. By default, WMV files are associated w/ Windows Media Player, so double-clicking on the file should open WMP. Then follow whatever instructions the WMP shows. I'm not familiar w/ this part since I haven't dealt w/ movies w/ DRM before, just music files w/ DRM.

You can probably burn the WMV file to a DVD. I don't know whether it'll be watchable on another PC. There's probably fine print on the box or somewhere that tells you the limitation. In your first post, you mentioned DVD. So it came w/ DVD & Blu-ray? Couldn't you just play the DVD in a DVD player or PC? I think the WMV w/ DRM is typically for portable device.

With the disc that has the WMV file that you want to copy in the drive, open My Computer, right click on the DVD drive and select open. You should now see the files on the disc. Locate the WMV file and copy that to your hard drive. Open the movie file w/ WMP. By default, WMV files are associated w/ Windows Media Player, so double-clicking on the file should open WMP. Then follow whatever instructions the WMP shows. I'm not familiar w/ this part since I haven't dealt w/ movies w/ DRM before, just music files w/ DRM.

You can probably burn the WMV file to a DVD. I don't know whether it'll be watchable on another PC. There's probably fine print on the box or somewhere that tells you the limitation. In your first post, you mentioned DVD. So it came w/ DVD & Blu-ray? Couldn't you just play the DVD in a DVD player or PC? I think the WMV w/ DRM is typically for portable device.

Yes I can just play the DVD in fact I have . But I bought this as a Christmas gift, and I wanted to make a digital copy before I wrapped it.

O.K. lets see if I got this right. I put the DVD in. I don't click on watch DVD or Make Digital copy.
I open up my computer and open the DVD Drive. Locate the WMV file. ( Windows Media Video. Right? ) I wont repeat the rest of the instructions back to you. If you could let me know if what I've written so far is correct. Then I will follow the rest of your instructions a step at a time. Thanks Ray

Looks like it worked. Found WMV file opened it clicked copy nothing happened. So I clicked open got CaptainAmerica_PC_EN,and CaptainAmerica_PORT_EN clicked on the one for PC A page came up telling I needed to upgrade. Only this time the button wasn't faded out.Clicked it put in authorization code,and E-Mail Address clicked next . It said something about Digital copy came and went too quick for me to read . But Movie started playing. Not sure if it copied instantaneously. Or if I have to let entire movie run. Letting it run just to be on the safe side Thank you, thank you, thank you

Ray.

Looks like it worked. Found WMV file opened it clicked copy nothing happened. So I clicked open got CaptainAmerica_PC_EN,and CaptainAmerica_PORT_EN clicked on the one for PC A page came up telling I needed to upgrade. Only this time the button wasn't faded out.Clicked it put in authorization code,and E-Mail Address clicked next . It said something about Digital copy came and went too quick for me to read . But Movie started playing. Not sure if it copied instantaneously. Or if I have to let entire movie run. Letting it run just to be on the safe side Thank you, thank you, thank you

I was wrong. It didn't work. Should have known it was too easy. You can see how I thought it was working by what I said in my last E-Mail. above this one
But when I took the disk out, I couldn't find the movie. Wasn't in WMP wasn't in Computer ,wasn't in the start up search Window. I don't know where else to look.
While copying I did minimize it to the task bar so I could send the last E-Mail. I will try it again. This time let it run without doing anything. Can you think of anything else to try or place to look. Thanks Ray

I've never done a right click & select copy. Maybe once or twice. I click and drag the file to the folder where I want it stored.

Ok, you found the wmv file. I'm guessing it's couple hundred MB in size. Try click and drag. While it's being copied, a small window should pop-up w/ a progress bar.

I've never done a right click & select copy. Maybe once or twice. I click and drag the file to the folder where I want it stored.

Ok, you found the wmv file. I'm guessing it's couple hundred MB in size. Try click and drag. While it's being copied, a small window should pop-up w/ a progress bar.

Thanks for the suggestions. But they have all become moot points I tried to make a dig. copy today. By just following the instructions on the disc. Was able to put the Auth. code in, because I upgraded last night But the code had become invalid because I had used it last night, and it's only one use per customer.
That kind of tells me it is in my computer. But where???? Ray

In that case, maybe search for "captin*.wmv" (without the quotes) on all the hard drives of your computer.

In that case, maybe search for "captin*.wmv" (without the quotes) on all the hard drives of your computer.

Sorry I took so long getting back to you. The Capt. Amer. movie just isnt in my computer. Now that I have my WMP upgraded. I can now make digital copies with no problem. Also.my friend/landlord has a lot of 2 disc movies. Blu-Ray DVD/Digital. that I can download to my PC. So thanks Ray.

Back