Malaysian govt tells public not to buy CDs, DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Quite a shocking story reported by The Register, the Malaysian government told buyers to quit spending, at least temporarily, to force the industry to reduce prices.

"There are some new local movie releases that are priced at MYR10 ($2.64). The VCDs are affordable and not bootlegged by illegal manufacturers," said Subramaniam. "Those priced at MYR30 ($7.91) and above are normally the ones that get pirated. This proves that the price factor is the main reason why consumers buy pirated CDs and VCDs."

It's a point oft-made by music and movie consumers, but this is the first time we've heard a national government come out and make this oh-so-obvious suggestion. Of course, music and movie companies won't accept it, no matter from where the advices comes. As Subramainiam himself noted this week, they'll continue to state that CD and DVD prices are justified by admin costs, R&D, production and artist royalties.

If there is a force more powerful than the government in the 21st Century, one possible candidate is the consumer.

I think that consumers will vote with their feet. The price mechanism already matches demand to supply and the question is - is the Malaysian government trying to help that process (which should be automatic anyway) or doctor it for some reason. I am inclined to think the latter.

Mind you, they might have a point about lowering prices to stop piracy.

I think a lot of people need to think about that point very hard.

Maybe if you didn't have such high prices for books, CDs, video tapes and DVDs you might not have a problem with illegal CDs sold in markets.

It's a great idea, original CDs and DVDs are way to expensive for typical Malaysians, that why you can see pirates as cheap as US$1 lurking in the streets. Have hot manufacturers be so greedy by putting a higher price tag, piracy could be minimum, shame on them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back