Mandriva 2010.2 complete newbie

krisis99

I REALLY need some help, i have NO IDEA how to get adobe flash installed for this, or my nvidia drivers for my GFX card. I don't understand how to install anything on this OS. i used "su" to login and try and move the libflashplayer.so to the mozilla/plugins file but i apperently can't create it. I have no idea what that means. i have all the files downloaded already, so i just need help installing them.

1. need to install flash for mozilla
2. need need to install nVidia driver for GTX 460
3. need to change resolution from 800x600 to a res like 1920x1200 or something. (HD monitor). No option in system settings

EDIT: so im using Konsole to use the tar -xzvf command "tar -xzvf /root/home/xxxxx/downloads/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz"

"tar (child): <above command line here> cannot open: permission denied"
and i AM running from "/home/xxxxx" which is where i was told to run this command from.

Linux drivers + plug-ins.

I use Windows 90% of the time, but for my spare PC and for the knowledge of something different, and free, I have Linux Ubuntu 10 and Mint 11.
To get Flash on Linux Firefox, launch Firefox, go to www.adobe.com, 'downloads' tab, and you will see it has detected you are using Linux. So download from there.
To get your Nvidia drivers, from Linux Firefox, go to www.nvidia.com.
In the search box, top right, type, GTX 460 + linux , and you should be taken to the list of links of drivers to choose from.
About the screen res, once you have got the correct drivers installed, you should find your Linux O/S will set the highest res for your monitor, without you doing anything more. Otherwise go to 'Menu', 'System/Control center', 'Hardware', 'Monitors', where you can make changes, but I find the best setting is found for you.

This is the page for the Graphics card driver. Click the 'Driver downloads' tab, then set your details up in the dropboxes, e.g. change 'Windows' to 'Linux' and select 32 or 64 bit.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-460-us.html

Back