Massachusetts carmakers must provide vehicle data to owners and repair shops, new law says

Polycount

Staff
What just happened? The right-to-repair battle continues to rage on across the United States. Tech-savvy folks are fighting for the right to disassemble, reassemble, and reverse-engineer the products they own without being subject to legal repercussions or voided warranties. Fortunately for them, a significant right-to-repair victory has been achieved in Massachusetts: a newly-passed law will force carmakers to give owners and repair shops "expanded" access to mechanical data about their vehicles.

Starting with vehicle model year 2022, car manufacturers that use telematics system in their vehicles -- systems that "collect and wirelessly transmit" mechanical data to remote servers -- must make that information available via a standardized open access data platform.

According to the ballot measure (which passed with 75 percent approval), this data would be accessible via a mobile app for vehicle owners. And, so long as the owner in question agrees to do so, the data can be shared with and retrieved by repair facilities; even those who aren't associated with any given carmaker.

Notably, access authorization cannot be required by carmakers, unless the authorization method is standardized across all makes and models and is administered by an entity "unaffiliated" with a given manufacturer.

All in all, this law's success is great news for right-to-repair advocates, and the public as a whole. After all, nothing is stopping customers from getting their vehicles repaired through "official" means if they so choose -- this just gives them more opportunities to pursue other options if necessary or advantageous for them.

We look forward to seeing how this law's passage will affect the rest of the automotive industry outside of Massachusetts. It's possible that carmakers will simply decide to open up telematic system access universally, instead of creating an app and manufacturing branch specific to Massachusetts customers -- only time will tell.

Permalink to story.

It's a small state I could just as easily see them moving dealerships out of state, you can drive out of the state in less than an hour anyway.

It's a small state I could just as easily see them moving dealerships out of state, you can drive out of the state in less than an hour anyway.

The dealerships are not owned by the car manufacture. They are separate businesses with separate contracts with the car makers.

Now you are correct...when the contracts come up for renewal the manufacturer could choose to not renew a contract.

With a pass rate of 75%, this seems likely to be headed to a State Near You. If I were a manufacturer I'd want to short circuit by volunteering my own system vs. having to deal with a patchwork of different systems in different states, each designed and passed without my input.

That is not how that works at all. And MA has is the 15th largest state in terms of population. Geographically it is small, but not demographically. No auto manufacturer is going to abandon the state - except maybe Tesla, if Musk throws a fit (which I doubt he will).

What I got a kick out of is all the 'vote no' ads were trying to spin it as a 'data security' issue, citing all these papers with quotes like "unsafe" and "not secure" - when the paper's themselves were about the automakers' current telemetrics data security. It was hilarious when you saw attack ads going 'your data will not be safe', and then did your homework to discover 'hey, wait, it already is not safe'.

At least with a standardized and open system there might be a chance for some oversight and security auditing.

Back