Massive 18.4-inch Nokia tablet outed by GFXBench

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nokia earlier this month announced its first proper Android-powered smartphone, the mid-range Nokia 6 destined for the Chinese market. Now, thanks to a recent appearance on GFXBench, it would seem that Nokia’s next mobile device may be an oversized tablet.

The mystery machine packs a massive 18.4-inch touchscreen display sporting an above average resolution of 2,560 x 1,440 pixels. It's powered by an octa-core Qualcomm CPU clocked at 2.2GHz (believed to be the Snapdragon 835), Adreno 540 graphics and 4GB of RAM.

GFXBench also reveals 64GB of local flash storage, 12-megapixel cameras on the front and back, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC and more.

Worth noting is the fact that Nokia’s name isn’t mentioned anywhere in the GFXBench results. Instead, it’s the listed operating system – Android 7.0 Nougat with an Android FIH Edition overlay – that identifies this as a Nokia device. FIH Mobile, if you recall, was along for the ride when Microsoft sold its Nokia assets to HMD Global last year for $350 million.

Samsung in 2015 unveiled a similar large-screen tablet concept called the Galaxy View tablet. That device, which debuted at $599, was designed primarily as a portable media player. It’s unclear how many units Samsung has sold although considering the fact that it now commands just $399, my guess is that it hasn’t been very popular.

We’ll likely hear more about this Nokia tablet at Mobile World Congress 2017 late next month.

Concept image courtesy Phone Designer

Permalink to story.

I like a big tablet from time to time, myself. I have a Samsung Note 12.2" or whatever it's called... I couldnt imagine trying to use one much bigger than it, though. Now, maybe in a desktop situation, where you think of it as a portable desktop, maybe... sure? But it doesnt run Windows... so? That and the point they make in this article about the Galaxy View, lol how many people heard of it? Raise your hands...

Awfully unimpressive resolution for such a tablet. It should have 4 times more pixels, I.e. 5K.

Back