Massive Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 leak reveals surprising new core configuration and more

DragonSlayer101

Staff
The big picture: The Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 is expected to power almost all major flagship Android smartphones next year, and recent leaks suggest it could even get the better of Apple's A16 Bionic that powers the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max. Not much was known about its technical specifications, however, until now.

A massive leak has revealed many critical aspects about Qualcomm's next flagship mobile SoC, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3. The leak comes courtesy of tipster @Tech_Reve, who  claims the chip will be based on the same TSMC N4P process node as the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2.

The tipster further says the next-gen chip will have an octa-core CPU, but with a 1+5+2 core configuration unlike its predecessor. The eight cores are expected to consist of one Cortex-X4 prime core running at 3.75GHz, five Cortex-A720 cores clocked at 3GHz and two Cortex-A520 efficiency cores ticking along at 2GHz.

In comparison, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 comes with a 1+2+2+3 config, including one Cortex-X3 prime core at 3.2GHz, two Cortex-A715 cores at 2.8GHz, two Cortex-A710 cores at 2.8GHz and three Cortex-A510 efficiency cores at 2GHz.

In theory, this could mean a massive bump in multi-core performance for the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 when compared to its predecessor. A recent leak also seems to back up that theory, with claims that an early engineering sample of the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 is already faster than Apple's A16 Bionic in Geekbench's single-core and multi-core tests.

Even if the leak is genuine, it's important to remember that synthetic benchmarks don't necessarily reflect real-life performance so how the Snapdragon 3 Gen 8 will perform in real-world tasks remains to be seen.   

As for the rest of the specifications, the tipster also suggests the processor will come with an integrated Adreno 750 GPU, which would be an upgrade over the Adreno 740 in the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2. The chipset is also tipped to support UFS 4.1 storage and LPDDR5 RAM.

Finally, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 is expected to come with the Snapdragon X75 5G modem that Qualcomm announced last month. It is the world's first Modem-RF System with a dedicated AI tensor accelerator, featuring Qualcomm's 5G AI Processor Gen 2 and 5G AI Suite Gen 2.

Overall, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 could be a huge improvement over the Gen 2 chip, but exactly how it will turn out remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

Real life performance or satisfaction is a combo from

- the hardware
- the OS
- software optimization
- battery life

Even if the hardware is top notch and better than Apple's (which I doubt) all other three don't meet the spec over Apple's. Android or W11 ARM code is made for generic ARM and the specific drivers have to suit a lot of manufacturers. But even here I don't expect to be to much of a performance loss (more of a battery loss), specially on Android which is better than W11; but mainly the apps on those two systems are too generic and don't use all the juice wisely, that comes with a big hit on performance and battery life.

Most Qualcomm promises end there, on real life they will overheat, throttle and also use more energy than Apple's. At the bottom end, less performance, less battery, more heat. On smartphones that amount of performance is also not needed, at least Apple adjusts it to get more battery, Qualcomm should step up and make a good energy-efficient chip for smartphones and a much more powerful chip for W11 (which at present time is just toooooo short).

- the hardware
- the OS
- software optimization
- battery life

Even if the hardware is top notch and better than Apple's (which I doubt) all other three don't meet the spec over Apple's. Android or W11 ARM code is made for generic ARM and the specific drivers have to suit a lot of manufacturers. But even here I don't expect to be to much of a performance loss (more of a battery loss), specially on Android which is better than W11; but mainly the apps on those two systems are too generic and don't use all the juice wisely, that comes with a big hit on performance and battery life.

Most Qualcomm promises end there, on real life they will overheat, throttle and also use more energy than Apple's. At the bottom end, less performance, less battery, more heat. On smartphones that amount of performance is also not needed, at least Apple adjusts it to get more battery, Qualcomm should step up and make a good energy-efficient chip for smartphones and a much more powerful chip for W11 (which at present time is just toooooo short).
This is hilarious to read, in the face of terrible maintained performance from apple's A15 and A16 chips. Thermal throttling ahoy!

This is hilarious to read, in the face of terrible maintained performance from apple's A15 and A16 chips. Thermal throttling ahoy!
The only bad iPhone throttling is from the screen. My S22 Ultra never presented such thing. But the performance is second to none.

- the hardware
- the OS
- software optimization
- battery life
You are so right! For example the OS is what made me switch from iOS to Android. I had iPhones from the 3G until the 6S, and between Apple messing with my jailbreaks plus App Store restrictions hobbling Apple versions compared to Android, finally I had enough and got my first Android a OnePlus 5. Apple can keep their blazing mobile processors, my device is sporting an "ancient" SD 855+ with no performance complaints. Apple could benchmark 5X faster and so long as iOS remaines restricted (it is worse than when I left actually) and Qualcomms chips work fine, that's a walled garden Im not breaking back into. What's the use of a hyper fast chip when the OS is so limited I cant run the software I want?

Can't these companies come up with decent names these days? C'mon...Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 is the best they can do? Seriously?

I am not an apple worshiper but SD GEN1-2.5ghz to GEN2-2.8ghz to GEN3-3.0ghz ..... clearly shows a walk (trend) like a beggar ... O' apple iPhone15 out!?! ok turn the knob to 3.2ghz and run the molds!

Back