MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries gets a new trailer and firm launch date

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Something to look forward to: By the time MechWarrior 5 launches, it'll have been more than a decade in the making and nearly two decades since the last entry in the series. Hopefully it'll have been worth the wait.

The fifth major installment in the MechWarrior series now has a firm launch date along with a new trailer.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries was originally announced way back in 2009 by Piranha Games as a follow-up to MechWarrior 4: Vengeance which dropped in 2000. The years came and went, however, without a game ever materializing. In 2016, we were promised a 2018 release but that was pushed back in the spring in order to give the developers more time to “deliver the best single-player MechWarrior experience to date.”

Piranha announced over the weekend at Mech-Con 2018 that the new game will arrive on September 10, 2019.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Singleplayer MechWarrior? Yes please.
I played a bit of the Online version, just not enough of a fan of PvP to play much of it.

The last time I played MechWarrior, I had a joystick. I wonder if that will be supported or have all games moved to the mouse now.

The last time I played MechWarrior, I had a joystick. I wonder if that will be supported or have all games moved to the mouse now.

I know MechWarrior Online supports Joysticks, though response time is just better with KB&M. I would bet they will include support for joysticks and since the competitive nature of PvP is not a factor, use it.

I am hopeful for this but I gotta say the walking and movement looks too fast paced and arcade-ish in this video. Is the video sped-up or something? Just doesn't look right. Too Titan Fall and not enough Mech Warrior. I appreciate and prefer the more realistic, believable movement in the earlier Mech games.

With all that said, they must make it for VR as well. This kind of game just lends itself very well to VR. There is a company making a very good "mech" like game called Vox Machinae that is primarily VR (though it does support old school keyboard, monitor, and mouse) and it is incredibly immersive in VR. It just works.

Nowadays nothing seems to be worth the wait.

They try to revive the great games of those days, via kickstarter mostly, but all drops down meh....

Some did well, but nothing came close to the magic those games did 10 or 20 years ago.

Problem is, all have been done before.

Unless they come up with some innovative designs, all will fall flat.

The current gaming scene of modern games are already bad with current gen gamers preferring the freemium style mobile games, loot boxes and other fortnite like games.... gaming is dead. At least for the purists.

Only emulations and dosbox and PC emulators are still keeping up the true spirit of gaming.

Unless they come up with some innovative designs, all will fall flat.

While I don't often appreciate reboots, I find Mech Warrior to be an exception. I liked the visual upgrades with all subsequent releases following MW2, and I am not about the eye candy most of the time.

They will do fine so long as they don't mess too much with the MW single player formula. A mercenaries style campaign would be fun.

Back