Medal of Honor SP Graphics & CPU Performance

Julio Franco

Staff member
Developed by EA's Danger Close and DICE, this latest installment in the MoH series is simply titled "Medal of Honor." Meant to reboot the series, MoH takes place during the ongoing war in Afghanistan featuring single and multiplayer modes. For the purpose of this article we are focusing on single player performance.

Read the full article at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/324-medal-of-honor-performance/

Please leave your feedback here.

Nice to see my quad cores finaly getting some use for gaming.

The single player mode of this game is extremely short. Fully completed it on normal difficulty within 3 hours. It was a fun 3 hours though.

Good article, and even though I have a gaming PC I've always liked getting Medal of Honor games on Playstation so I'll ask for this one as a gift for PS3 =P

I think I'll get this game - after they fix/patch/driver update to support SLI and AA properly.

SP mode in this game is as boring as watching paint dry. There is simply nothing fun about it, MP mode is just as boring. There is nothing fun or challenging about this game when compared to other games in same genre.

Amazing that they're still getting mileage out of the Unreal engine. Of course this is the 3rd iteration of the Unreal 3 engine they're using, but still....

Think I'll pass on this game. Metacritic gives it a below-average score of 75 and only a 3-hour solo campaign? That's not going to work for me. Besides, Fallout: New Vegas is coming out in 4 days. MUHAHAHAHA!!

Epic were among the first to write an engine that made proper use of more than 2 cores so there's nothing new here. Look at Bioshock in 2007 and it used quads properly even if it didnt thrash graphics cards because of the low res textures.

Unfortunately MOH betrays its console 'roots' with its narrow FOV which isnt fixable (in singleplayer) and the lack of head bobbing. The linearity and scriptedness are very apparent and on some levels if you dont move up and trigger the next script the game just stops until you move to the right place - in other words the whole pace and energy of the game depends on the player jumping through the right hoops at the right time.

The low scores its getting are entirely deserved.

Already in development:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Sweeney_(game_developer)

"....the next Unreal Engine (Unreal Engine 4) already being under research and development with a small team. These new technologies as well as additional programmers take away some of the tedious work of project-specific programming and instead allow the game engine programmer to focus on larger concepts."

Very informative article . What I am interested in
is how do you access those graphics options ?
They are not available in my version of the single player campaign.
Isn't that the version the article was based on ?
Only graphics options I have are v-sync on or off , brightness/contrast and screen resolution.
There does not appear to be any "advanced" option.
I believe there is in multi but not SP.
Unless I'm missing something those screen shots of advanced graphics options for single player are mis-leading.

Good review and love the CPU breakdown, would've been nice to see some multiplayer benchmarks though. Personally played the multiplayer beta last week and the game on average performed 10-15 FPS lower then what I get in Battlefield Bad Company 2 with similar settings (1680x1050, DX10 & Maxed) which I found odd considering the smaller maps and overall graphics felt a bit inferior to BC2.

fimbles said:
The single player mode of this game is extremely short. Fully completed it on normal difficulty within 3 hours. It was a fun 3 hours though.

Ya quite disappointing I have to say. I was looking forward to this game, but with a lackluster multiplayer and extremely short campaign I decided to skip it for now. Especially disappointed in Danger Close who was solely working on a the campaign and didn't deliver more. I'll stick with BC2 and its Vietnam expansion come December.

oops.....found those extra settings.
Just didn't scroll down enough.
What a knucklehead !!

Apologies for any offence I may have given to the reviewer.

The fps numbers for the i3-540 don't appear correct. Clock for clock slower than the G6950? Can't be, the 6950 is same core as i3 without HT (hyperthreading) and with a smaller L3 cache. In well multithreaded games like BF:BC2, DAO, and RE5, HT gives a 40-50% boost in frame rates. Well threaded games is one of the best areas for a performance boost from HT (like video encoding). Either HT was off, or perhaps the fps number got transcribed wrong (a 6 instead of an 8 …?) which would mean 82 fps instead of 62. Please recheck the i3-540 numbers.

Nice review and thanks for the good work. I hope there will be DX10/DX11 reviews on this soon.

@Guest, we have verified our results and evidently hyper-threading doesn't result in the boost you can expect to see in other titles.

3-4 hours single player. Virtually nothing new or exciting in the multiplayer either. If they'd put in the "slide into cover" and leaning out from cover from the single player then it might have offered a slightly different fps experience.

Enjoy the review. Looks like my HD4850 can still handle this game at 1920x1080. You have given me a reason to seriously consider upgrading from a dual core CPU to a quad-core (that Athlon II X4 645 gives you great performance for the price). Been holding off for a good reason to upgrade. I've been anxiously waiting for this game. Tried the beta online multiplayer and it was fun. Nice graphics!

I still cannot understand why the developer would use two different engines for one game. It gobbles up HD space (forced to store the same assets twice) and makes the two parts of the game feel entirely dissimilar. At least the game is coded to use four cpu cores.

Back