Media Player Codec Pack for..?

SledgeProne

I'm generally a bit guarded when it comes to installing codecs, and any potential consequence that could arise as a result of updating or simply altering the way my media players perform, particularly when they're performing virtually problem free. Currently that isn't the case, as my VLC Player suffered a rogue glitch some months back, which has since rendered it nearly useless, and Windows Media player to become my sole provider of video content.
I've had a "media player codec pack" installed for some time now, and while it hasn't seemed to harm anything, I'm not so sure its actually done much either. Its been trying to update itself, and I'm wondering if anyone here believes its codec pack is worthy, or even necessary?

I have no experience with that codec pack or VLC Player. But the codec pack seems to be equivalent to K-lite Codec Pack which I use. Other than recommending a pack for which I know works for me, I don't really have an opinion to offer.

I've only heard good things about VLC Player until now. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling VLC, to see if that fixes the glitch?

I actually recommend against codec packs when talking to my friends. You end up with things you don't want or need. Many times, codec packs will include things like search bars or other unwanted pieces of software. I always recommend installing the codecs you need and only getting those from the source if possible. Also, I would try uninstalling VLC, removing any local settings (which you can do while uninstalling OR reinstalling) and giving that another shot. VLC has all its codecs self contained so they don't really reach out and interfere with other things on your machine.

Sorry - fixed the typo - I own a service called VCL at my job so I transcribe those letters all the time

Last edited:
Many times, codec packs will include things like search bars or other unwanted pieces of software.
That is no different than any other freeware. You have to pay attention, when installing anything you download nowadays. Even the same software downloaded from different sources, will include different crap packaged in the installer.

I'm generally a bit guarded when it comes to installing codecs, and any potential consequence that could arise as a result of updating or simply altering the way my media players perform, particularly when they're performing virtually problem free. Currently that isn't the case, as my VLC Player suffered a rogue glitch some months back, which has since rendered it nearly useless, and Windows Media player to become my sole provider of video content.
I've had a "media player codec pack" installed for some time now, and while it hasn't seemed to harm anything, I'm not so sure its actually done much either. Its been trying to update itself, and I'm wondering if anyone here believes its codec pack is worthy, or even necessary?
What kind of a glitch are you talking about? I've had & use VLC for a few years now & like it. :)

Back