Meizu Pro 6 Plus Review

Scorpus

Staff member

The Pro 6 Plus is the highest-end smartphone currently sold by Meizu. It’s a true flagship, featuring the same Exynos SoC as seen in the Samsung Galaxy S7, a large 5.7-inch 1440p AMOLED display, a beautiful aluminium unibody chassis, and a 12-megapixel camera with OIS and laser autofocus. Despite packing top-end specifications it is priced to undercut most of its competition.

Read the full article here.

Sounds like a decent price for what you get but I'm chary of these Chinese products mainly because of the sketchy UI's and heavy handed skinning. Alternative launchers aren't the answer, for me that is.

Of course, in an ideal world, Google applications would be included on this device out of the box, however this isn’t always possible for devices primarily intended for China.

Excuse me, this is one of the major issues of the Android world, most of the phones are locked in the Google ecosystem, by no means an ideal world.

In a review of a phone, you review the camera, the storage, the battery, the display, everything get reviewed but one thing is NOT reviewed: the SOUND QUALITY.

I have a hearing impairment and for me, sound reproduction quality is of utmost importance. To me I will buy a phone not for the above extras but for the ability to hear clearly the person who is speaking.

Why can't reviewers address this point? Are they so deaf as not to hear the pleas of the nearly deaf?

In a review of a phone, you review the camera, the storage, the battery, the display, everything get reviewed but one thing is NOT reviewed: the SOUND QUALITY.

I have a hearing impairment and for me, sound reproduction quality is of utmost importance. To me I will buy a phone not for the above extras but for the ability to hear clearly the person who is speaking.

Why can't reviewers address this point? Are they so deaf as not to hear the pleas of the nearly deaf?

Honestly, at least to me, call quality is roughly the same across every phone (maybe with small changes in maximum volume) so I don't bother spending time talking about it. Similar situation to audio quality from the 3.5mm headphone jack; most phones are 'good enough' and I can rarely tell the difference between top-end devices.

There's also the issue of audio quality being largely subjective, so often the best way to test it is through side-by-side comparisons. Often I don't have every phone available for a side-by-side comparison.

Honestly, at least to me, call quality is roughly the same across every phone (maybe with small changes in maximum volume) so I don't bother spending time talking about it. Similar situation to audio quality from the 3.5mm headphone jack; most phones are 'good enough' and I can rarely tell the difference between top-end devices.

There's also the issue of audio quality being largely subjective, so often the best way to test it is through side-by-side comparisons. Often I don't have every phone available for a side-by-side comparison.

The problem is that to people who hear normal, there is not much to sound, but to people like me, who are few, the quality of sound reproduction is very important to hearing and understanding what the person on the other side of the phone is saying.

It is a shame that no one ever bothers to actually look into and compare the sound quality for us few hearing impaired people.

The problem is that to people who hear normal, there is not much to sound, but to people like me, who are few, the quality of sound reproduction is very important to hearing and understanding what the person on the other side of the phone is saying.

It is a shame that no one ever bothers to actually look into and compare the sound quality for us few hearing impaired people.
Sounds like something only a hearing impaired reviewer could do properly.

Um, how come so many of your smartphone reviews don't include iPhone's in the battery tests?

Um, how come so many of your smartphone reviews don't include iPhone's in the battery tests?

I don't have any iPhones on hand at the moment and I'm constantly updating our battery benchmarks. Plus some tests don't run on iOS

Back