Memtest failed, Mobo or Memory Sticks at Fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msclara

This first started out as a problem installing some of the larger programs such has Adobe CS3 and Microsoft Office 2007. I had a seperate thread on that located here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123304.html

After a lot of troubleshooting, I believe that my problem exists in the RAM. I ran the memtest for both sticks of ram individually and they both failed. The first stick will cause my computer to reboot in the middle of the test. The other stick, I will get a message that says 'unexpected interrupt halting CPU0'.

So here's my question: Is the memory sticks at fault or my mobo?
I want to go ahead and ask for advice so I know if I should buy new RAM or get my mobo replaced.

These are my specs for my computer:
AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-Core Processor 2.71 GHz
GIgabyte GA-MA770-UD3
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition V2002 SP3
Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)

Can someone confirm that I'm using the right memory? It's not listed on the Gigabyte's website as one of their supported ones, but it also says that many are not listed.

Any help on this would be great. I've tried testing the memory on other slots with same results and tried cleaning it with an eraser.

Thanks!

so, i just had the wrong memory in this whole time? buying this memory will fix the problem?

thanks so much!! i'm going to try that out.

Okay, I bought that EXACT same memory as Tmagic650 mentioned. I unhooked everything, cleared the CMOs, put the new memory in, and loaded optimized settings.

I am still having the exact same problems.

Does the motherboard need to be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back