Metro Exodus has sold over 200,000 copies on Steam in less than a week

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Metro Exodus was one of 2019's best games, but its last-minute timed exclusivity deal with the Epic Games Store brought a lot of controversy. It appears, however, that plenty of people were willing to wait until the title returned to Steam, where it’s been performing “great” since its recent arrival.

Back in January 2019, two weeks before release, Metro publisher Deep Silver announced that the latest installment of the franchise would be selling exclusively on Epic’s store until February 15, 2020. The news came despite pre-orders for Exodus being available on Steam since its reveal. This led to Valve calling the decision “unfair,” and the previous Metro titles getting review bombed by angry fans.

Metro Exodus’ exclusivity deal ended a few days ago, and even though it’s been available elsewhere for over a year, plenty of Steam users are buying the game. Speaking during an earnings presentation, Lars Wingefors, CEO of Deep Silver’s parent company, Embracer Group, said: “Metro [Exodus] performed well on Epic and I was happy with the performance on the Epic Games Store, but that doesn’t say I’m not happy with the Steam performance either, so it’s been great [in] the first days.”

“I was happy to see it’s been performing well, selling about 200,000 copies already, and surprising to see that one big country in Asia was the biggest country buying the product, very close to America.”

That big Asian country Wingefors mentioned is doubtlessly China, which is becoming a huge market for Steam—simplified Chinese is the second-most-common language on the platform, and has been the most popular on more than one occasion.

Some people let their opinions of Epic be known in Exodus’ review section, which caused Google’s result for Steam searches to show a description that read: “F*ck Epic Games Store.” VG247 explains that Google pulled up the review from the Steam homepage, which features Metro Exodus.

We recently saw the second and final expansion for Exodus released: Sam’s Story. It brings a new world to explore and packs plenty of content—definitely worth a purchase for Metro fans.

Permalink to story.

So now we know that about 200k users opted to wait for the game rather than become unfaithful to their favorite store.

You could also say it more nicely that they did not want to sign up for a second game store.

So now we know that about 200k users opted to wait for the game rather than become unfaithful to their favorite store.

You could also say it more nicely that they did not want to sign up for a second game store.
Unfaithful? More like "screw limited exclusivity deals". Take away choice (especially in this case, where preorders were already up on Steam before the deal) and you'll find that people don't want to support the platform that took it away.

That said, I'm sure the 40% off on Steam the other day helped...

All of these attempts by others to take down Steam have been very entertaining, if nothing else.
Sorry, but that's the go-to platform for PC gaming, the end.

I have an account on both stores but I have yet to spend a dime at Epic. I have about 550 Steam games. I’ll probably never spend a dime on Epic. Frankly, I haven’t cared about Epic Games since the days of Unreal Tournament. I’ll definitely buy Metro on Steam, and I hope they decide not to do that silly exclusive nonsense again.

Some people pay their games with steam cards (something the EGS doesnt have) and/or going to the nearest oxxo/circle K (something EGS also doesnt have)

While I've had a love/hate relationship with Steam I still find them to be the best option out here .... never could find another site that just measured up and boy did I try!

All of these attempts by others to take down Steam have been very entertaining, if nothing else.
Sorry, but that's the go-to platform for PC gaming, the end.

True, but we have to be careful of saying "it's over". The ONLY reason Steam isn't turning to typical corporate sh!t is because they are privately owned and not beholden to stockholders and a board.

Shunning competition is a bad idea in every market. I'm not saying Epic did the right thing with exclusives, but I don't think we should kill off any and all competitors because "Steam won". When one outfit controls any market, nothing good ever comes of that.

I have an account on both stores but I have yet to spend a dime at Epic. I have about 550 Steam games. I’ll probably never spend a dime on Epic. Frankly, I haven’t cared about Epic Games since the days of Unreal Tournament. I’ll definitely buy Metro on Steam, and I hope they decide not to do that silly exclusive nonsense again.
I paid for Metro on Epic game launcher. Gasp!
But now you get to enjoy it as well. I hope you enjoy it. I've still got to give Sam's story to go through. Looking forward to it. Personally avoided all footage of it. To enjoy as intended.

I'm surprised. Didn't think people would be interested in the game after some time. Maybe the DLC spiked the game popularity. I couldn't care about the platform really, thought the game was average.

And all those people who have bought it on Steam have now rewarded 4A Games and Deep Silver and have shown these pathetic companies that what they did is the correct thing to do next time

4A is dead to me and many others the moment they did this last year. I am sick of dishonest companies especially when they move to restrict sales at the last minute. serious scum involved at Epic/Tencent and 4A and Deep.4A is just as guilty only one member of 4A was vocal about this whilst the rest tool the bribe money. Pathetic.

Idk why people cry about steam this or that, when steam is the reason you can't resale games like console "peasants"?

quick example..... used xbox one metro exodus, fallout 4, skyrim, watchdogs 2. all for $35. Metro alone $40 on steam. How much can you resell it for? Nothing on steam?

Last edited:
This is chump change compared to what they would have gotten if they were on Steam from day 1. They lost money and fans in the long term just so that some CEOs could get a bigger "bonus" at launch.

I also have both - Steam from my old gaming days (I.e. Half Life 2....) and Epic because my kid plays Fortnite. Kid bought a few games on Steam, I got a few older ones on sale (I.e. for > $3 each). Not sure if I actually bought games on Epic but there were free ones.
Sure, my kid gets the Fortnite Battle pass and bought the save the world add on when it came out.

Either way, I am store agnostic. Really amazed how some people seem to treat this like a religion. If there is a new one, it seems solid and offers me something I will give it a try and in no way feel like a heretic.

Idk why people cry about steam this or that, when steam is the reason you can't resale games like console "peasants"?

Good point - have actually bought several used games for console. These are usually already a bit older, but it's still nice.
The advantage of steam is that you do not lose your games. If you buy a game DVD and it breaks you are out of luck.

I hadn't used Steam in years and just reinstalled it because my kid wanted to get a game and was pleasantly surprised to see that the games I had purchase many years ago were still there and could be installed.

So there are pros and cons for each.

quick example..... used xbox one metro exodus, fallout 4, skyrim, watchdogs 2. all for $35. Metro alone $40 on steam. How much can you resell it for? Nothing on steam?
While I likes your comment does epic have ability to sell your library at will to be fair?

On this note Cyberpunk 2077 will use GOG launcher while not exclusively will be my to go launcher for this game.
Also be on the look out for paid troll journalists ( paid by competitor ) to trash games so that their employer platform has an edge. They often always use SJW tactics.

Shunning competition is a bad idea in every market. I'm not saying Epic did the right thing with exclusives, but I don't think we should kill off any and all competitors because "Steam won". When one outfit controls any market, nothing good ever comes of that.
When a company forces you to use their platform for a certain title and pay full price, is it really competition or greed?
I agree with everything your saying about competition, but these other platforms out there like Origin and Epic Games aren't trying to compete with Steam, they are trying to eliminate competition and make as much money as possible by only offering their product on their platform. Where is the competition in that?
The greatest thing about Steam is how great the prices are, and some of the deals you can get during spring and other various sales.
Not saying other competitors is a bad thing, or that they don't offer deals, or that developers can't maximize their profits for their hardwork making these complex games, but forcing someone to use said platform is the definition of greed.

Steam isn't the reason. The reason is PC game keys. When you install a PC game and register the game key, it immediately uses up any gamer-specific contents, such as free items and multiplayer access. When another user tries to install the game, they'll be unable to as the game key has already been used.
This was a decision by game manufacturers, not Steam.

Steam isn't the reason. The reason is PC game keys. When you install a PC game and register the game key, it immediately uses up any gamer-specific contents, such as free items and multiplayer access. When another user tries to install the game, they'll be unable to as the game key has already been used.
This was a decision by game manufacturers, not Steam.
Pre steam taking over, you could resell PC games with CD keys. Steam set the tone. Example

Since steam BNET copied steam.

Another example

Another example, CALL OF DUTY 2008

almost every game in 2008 idk when the mainsteam cutoff happened

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Battlefield 3 2011... maybe 2011 is when it hit the fan

Last edited:
After having completely forgotten about Metro Exodus' launch it came back into the light when I heard it was going to be releasing on Steam, I actually got around to playing through the first two games. Those games still look damn good when the settings are maxed out, going from 2033 to LL the engine optimization is quite apparent as well. Purchased Exodus on sale on Steam for $30, Epic was trying to milk all they could and had it on sale for $25 up to the launch date on Steam... Still not interested. I'm not against owning games on Epic, I just don't want to be forced into a single platform due to exclusivity deals and more so do not want to split up my game collections onto multiple platforms because of that.

This is the same reason I'm waiting for BL3, I have then entire collection on Steam, why would I want to suddenly buy a game on a different platform when I know I can get it on the platform I have the rest of the series already purchased on if I just wait? This also gives them a chance to work out any bugs, and any DLC will potentially be pre-bundled for less than on launch day.

Back to Exodus, so far the game itself is far less compelling to play than 2033 and LL, I started it but didn't get hooked like the first two games. I haven't got that "just one more chapter" feel that had me want to keep playing. Maybe it will get better, hopefully, until then I can say the wait wasn't a big deal.

Pre steam taking over, you could resell PC games with CD keys. Steam set the tone.
You may be right. I don't have the facts, only what I remember at the time. I remember that PC games could be bought secondhand in shops but buyers were complaining that they couldn't play in multiplayer or access anything bundled with the game, as it had already been used by the first owner. And soon many game developers (or, more likely, the publishers) started locking the full game behind the game key. That basically killed off secondhand PC games unless it was a simple single-player game with no DRM. As there was no point in buying and selling second-hand PC games in shops, gamers turned instead to the Steam library. Console games stayed in the second-hand shops though and it made sense for them as they didn't have game keys and were so expensive to buy normally.

It was also around the same time that game developers were trying to tell us in their EULA that we don't own the game, that we only purchased the right to play the game. Which meant that we had no right to sell a game that we never owned in the first place.

So I don't remember Steam being the problem. I thought it was the game developers/publishers introducing game keys in an effort to kill off the secondhand market and force us all to buy games at full/retail price. I may be wrong, as I preferred to buy games in shops at the time and was late to move to Steam.

Back to Exodus, so far the game itself is far less compelling to play than 2033 and LL, I started it but didn't get hooked like the first two games. I haven't got that "just one more chapter" feel that had me want to keep playing. Maybe it will get better, hopefully, until then I can say the wait wasn't a big deal.
I enjoyed the first 2 and played them a few times. I also enjoyed the first half of Exodus. The wide open maps were initimidating at first as I didn't know where to go but I liked the train and the many choices and I was determined to start the game again as soon as I finished it. But I didn't enjoy the last quarter at all - it was very linear and I found it a real slog that I had to force myself to get through. As soon as the game was finished, I left it and have no intention of starting a new game unless some really good DLC comes out.

Back