"Metro: Last Light" announced+video teaser

dividebyzero

For you fans of survival-horror fps's...there must be a couple of you out here somewhere, here's the teaser for the upcoming sequel to Metro 2033- Last Light.

multiplatform release *gulp*

I watched this @ gametrailer.com. This could be a terrific game if THQ doesn't go Cervat on us.

I never got around to playing Metro 2033, but I've considered grabbing it a few times during the major Steam sales. Have you guys played through it?

I never got around to playing Metro 2033, but I've considered grabbing it a few times during the major Steam sales. Have you guys played through it?

I have. I liked it a lot. It is a corridor, but the graphics are worth the price of admission. The best DOF and particle/smoke ever. It does take a bunch of GPU horsepower to crank it up though. I have a slew of Screens on highest settings if you want to see them. If you want the opposing slant on things, ask EXCellr8....he hates the damn thing :p :haha:

I would second G's take on the game. The game is pretty linear, but has a few accomplishment side missions to add into the mix. Much like the STALKER games, it comes down to the atmosphere and mood/writing/lighting to provide the air of desperation that makes a good survival-horror immersive experience.
Having said that the game is linear, I'd also have to note that it is much less tightly scripted (follow the leader/signpost) than L4D, L4D2, Dead Space or the F.E.A.R. franchise.

it comes down to the atmosphere and mood/writing/lighting to provide the air of desperation that makes a good survival-horror immersive experience.

And I will second that. Metro for all it's lacking of open environment , has a wonderfully lonely and futile feel to it. A few places in it are actually spooky. It also does not bend over backwards to explain everything and tie it up into a neat ending. It leaves some things up to your imagination and interpretation....just the way I like it :) I think the main difference between STALKER and Metro is that STALKER is more of a biological disaster that is task driven, and Metro is more supernatural and purpose driven. if stalker is a 10 and I think it is, Metro is a 7.5

......check out my review of the upcoming sequel "Mr Holland groped us" in the Minneapolis Start Tribune....:D

I bought STALKER SoC and CoP but I barely have any time logged on either. They're among the zillion games I tell myself I'm going to play but never touch again after configuring them and playing through the opening scene haha :(. I really enjoy stealth-oriented games like Splinter Cell, Hitman and Thief, and judging by its name alone, I thought maybe STALKER would deliver similar gameplay. I was wrong. There really aren't enough stealth (or co-op) games these days.

ShoC has elements of stealth, but like a lot of games it comes down to individual missions only. If you are looking for less run-and-gun I would suggest Narodnaya Soljanka mod (or DKZ's mod+DMX if you prefer a darker ambience). Both mods place a very high priority on relationships and allegiences with npc's which drive sub-plots and the entire last half of the game, so where ShoC is basically a shoot-em-up, the mods allow for missions to be undertaken in the conventional manner (which foreshortens the game), or by stealth and/or deception and co-opting game characters. Being of Russian/Ukrainian design there is a large premium on multi-layered plot devices and inter-personal politics.

Be aware that these mods expand ShoC to around four (or more) times the size of the original game, and in keeping with the immersion factor some of the dialogue/mission details etc are spoken only once and do not appear in any log or mission "briefing" you can access. Miss the dialogue and you'll need to go back to an earlier save.
Talking of earlier saves...because of the nature and vastness of this mod, it is adviseable to make saves before every decision -whether talking to an npc (many conversations have a number of different dialogue branches), shooting/not shooting, beginning quests/removing objects/accepting-or not- a mission or even moving into certain areas. Overwriting earlier saves (and area saves) isn't recommended and as such I ended the game with around 800 savegames. And yes, I'm very glad I made them.

Not a hand-holding game even by vanilla Stalker standards. A very high level of intuition, repetition (when you repeatedly fail...and you will) and lateral thinking required.

Back