Microsoft accidentally leaked almost the entire plot for Halo Infinite

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Facepalm: If you plan to play Halo Infinite and don't wish to encounter any storyline spoilers from the single-player campaign, be careful when clicking around looking for information on the game. Microsoft messed up and included campaign mission descriptions in a multiplayer preview recently released that reveal most of the plot. Don't worry, no spoilers here.

Over the weekend, Halo Infinite's Creative Director Joseph Staten issued a tweet acknowledging that the development team had accidentally left files for the single-player campaign in the multiplayer beta they released last week. Data miners uncovered the files and publish the contents on the internet. You can find the extracted text on ZeroBin but be warned. It does contain massive spoilers for the game's narrative, including surprise twists.

"Leaks like this are painful for the dev team and can ruin the campaign experience for everyone," said Staten. "So please, keep you [sic] eyes peeled for spoilers, and don't spread them if you see them."

Developer 343 Industries have still not specified a release date for Halo Infinite, but it is supposed to launch sometime before the end of the year. Since the multiplayer portion is already in beta testing, it's safe to assume the game will be ready during or before the holiday rush.

If you'd like to get a glimpse of what the gameplay will be like, check out 343's multiplayer preview footage (above). It looks like things are getting pretty well-polished.

Permalink to story.

I can't imagine anyone reading it, even if I found it I couldn't care less about the plot written down. Gimme the game so I can blast away.
I could be a millennial and watch someone on YouTube do a play thru. I don't get how anyone gets enjoyment out of that.

LEAK?

Or are they trying to manufacture excitement for this boring, franchise?

I keep hoping Master Chief will just die - so they'll stop making more.

I know this is going to be really unpopular, but people get carried away with the "no spoilers" culture: Not everything needs a twist or a 100% fresh, "unspoiled" view to fully enjoy and experience it. In fact most of the movies I love I already had "spoilers" before going in about major plot elements if not the entire story arc. A good story and/or a good piece of art is not about the stupid twists, it's about the journey.

I know this is going to be really unpopular, but people get carried away with the "no spoilers" culture: Not everything needs a twist or a 100% fresh, "unspoiled" view to fully enjoy and experience it. In fact most of the movies I love I already had "spoilers" before going in about major plot elements if not the entire story arc. A good story and/or a good piece of art is not about the stupid twists, it's about the journey.
Way back in Ancient Greece, the plots to every play were well known by the audience - the enjoyment was in how it was performed.

Man, I can't tell if we have Sony trolls on TS paying close attention to Halo, or people upset they weren't special enough to be chosen for the closed beta this weekend lol

Unfortunate leak, as I'm sure the fanboys will try to do something stupid with the info. But you also don't really play Halo for the story twists, but more to have fun as the chief...

The 343 storytelling efforts have been attrocious compared to bungie's efforts. Why does infinite even have a story at this point, and how many comics or books will we have to read beforehand to know who the characters are?

The writing has been on the wall for awhile now. the fact that reach, on the 360, had more player sthen 4 and 5 on the one combined, shortly after 5's launch, and MS "broke" the ticker by "accident" so you couldnt track player counts anymore, spoke wonder as to the popularity of 343's efforts. Their pompus "our farts taste like cinnamon you plebs just wouldnt understand" tier responses to criticism of their writing sealed the deal.

Nobody cares about 343's campaigns. Hardly anyone cares about the multiplayer. The halo franchise has been driven into the ground and needs a long retirement at this point. Come up with something new.

I’m genuinely bewildered that people are unaware of Halos story, it’s a great story and universe, one of the best. Unfortunately the games and storytelling of the last 10 years have been poor. Halo is too old now and unless they do something radical with it they should kill it off.

But Halo is one of the all time greats. In the early 2000s nothing touched its prowess as a shooter, I was playing multiplayer Halo around the same time as original CS and I preferred Halo at the time. It will go down in history, it’s just a shame MS can’t seem to accept that it’s dead.

Personally I would like to see an RPG set in the halo universe, you couldn’t play master chief but there is easily a great story there. Also check out Forward Unto Dawn on Netflix, it’s a pretty cool live action mini series set in the Halo world and has a pretty cool battle between a Spartan and a hunter.

I’m genuinely bewildered that people are unaware of Halos story, it’s a great story and universe, one of the best. Unfortunately the games and storytelling of the last 10 years have been poor. Halo is too old now and unless they do something radical with it they should kill it off.

But Halo is one of the all time greats. In the early 2000s nothing touched its prowess as a shooter, I was playing multiplayer Halo around the same time as original CS and I preferred Halo at the time. It will go down in history, it’s just a shame MS can’t seem to accept that it’s dead.

Personally I would like to see an RPG set in the halo universe, you couldn’t play master chief but there is easily a great story there. Also check out Forward Unto Dawn on Netflix, it’s a pretty cool live action mini series set in the Halo world and has a pretty cool battle between a Spartan and a hunter.
This was not my experience with this franchise. For example, the enemies are ridiculous. Who created that crap?

This was not my experience with this franchise. For example, the enemies are ridiculous. Who created that crap?
Halo was far from perfect but it was incredibly popular in its day. Personally I think it’s the most well balanced sci fi shooter ever made. But we haven’t had many since. This is not a cod game or a battlefield game. The mechanics of the shields and the weapons were very balanced (or not in some games, like the pistol being way too powerful in Halo ce). I loved the enemies, the alien life forms offered very different weapons and defences compared to humans. They typically used plasma weapons that were effective against energy shields and humans typically used bullets and shells that was effective against flesh. The dual wielding combo of a plasma pistol and smg proved lethal (second game onwards).

Halo will go down in gaming history as momentous title, it sits up there with games like Half Life 2, Minecraft, tetris etc. In fact you will struggle to find a list of the best games of all time that doesn’t include Halo.

no it must be apart of the "go woke and kill any nostalgia left to the series" wave that has been sweeping all types of media. no new ideas just respin old ones

Back