Microsoft accidentally leaks Windows 8.1 Update 1 early

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft won't be officially releasing Windows 8.1 Update 1 until after their BUILD conference in April, but late on Thursday the company accidentally leaked the update to the public. Eager users were able to make a small registry change that made the updates show up in Windows Update, or download it all through direct links to Microsoft's servers.

The overall process to install Update 1 required the download of six separate updates totaling roughly 770 MB. Some users who downloaded and installed Update 1 said the final build string matched what was reported to be the RTM build, suggesting Microsoft was testing methods of delivering the update before links were leaked.

It only took a few hours for Microsoft to block public access to the files both through the download links and registry edits, however the files are still available through several other sources. While it shouldn't be too hard to find, download and install the update, if you're interested in checking out the changes, we recommend waiting for Update 1 to go live officially.

Most of the changes and improvements in Windows 8.1 Update 1 are geared towards improving the experience for keyboard and mouse users. There are new right-click context menus in some parts of the 'Modern' interface, power and search buttons right on the Start screen, title bars at the top of all Metro-style apps, and some desktop-oriented changes. The official launch of Update 1 is expected to be April 8th, according to several rumors.

Permalink to story.

Good thinking MS! We know Windows already has that function built in where it reports crashes and errors back to MS. By leaking your new update early, you'll get a bunch of people to start using it and they'll report errors for you! Free testing! Brilliant!

Good thinking MS! We know Windows already has that function built in where it reports crashes and errors back to MS. By leaking your new update early, you'll get a bunch of people to start using it and they'll report errors for you! Free testing! Brilliant!
But I already thought that Win 8 problems and errors have been reported back to MS since it's inception and those errors were telling MS what a blunder they'd made by releasing Win 8. They never listened then, what makes you think they'll listen now.

Really? They haven't responded to user feedback at all? I was sure that adding boot-to-desktop, and the start button, and literally everything in this update 1 is in response to user feedback. I think they are definitely listening.
If they'd listened in the 1st place there'd be far less drama and far more sales. I'm afraid the damage has already been done and it's too late to change peoples perceptions.

If they'd listened in the 1st place there'd be far less drama and far more sales. I'm afraid the damage has already been done and it's too late to change peoples perceptions.

Okay, but we're not talking about sales or perceptions here. I'm just saying that MS does listen to user feedback and they are responding. Understand that they're trying to appease multiple perspectives and it's not easy. Obviously they've made mistakes, but they are making welcome changes.

Yes... this... right? Maybe not, no probably not good marketting to release something before they could brag it to the media, so your argument is kind of invalid.

Okay, but we're not talking about sales or perceptions here. I'm just saying that MS does listen to user feedback and they are responding. Understand that they're trying to appease multiple perspectives and it's not easy. Obviously they've made mistakes, but they are making welcome changes.
Also the changes people want involve changing the whole UI and not just some settings.

They should release it on April 1st instead, and then feel free to call it an update, or whatever new answer to all the prayers, without receiving any criticism. At least it will make sense...

I want changes, but I don't want the whole UI changed. So hey, they're listening to me.
Me neither I feel it's great and once you set things up to your liking what everyone is complaining about it's not even there but... as long as people don't feel like it they won't move on from Windows 7, I've even heard silly stories of people switching to Mac because of W8 :p

Yes... this... right? Maybe not, no probably not good marketting to release something before they could brag it to the media, so your argument is kind of invalid.
Ok, so first off, it has nothing to do with marketing, it would have to do with bug fixes. So I guess my argument would be invalid (whatever that means) to someone who completely missed the point. Secondly, and more importantly, I was being sarcastic. Next time I'll be sure to include a *wink* *wink* to help.

Well this update sounds pretty darn good if you ask me. Of course im sure people are going to find another reason to hate Microsoft from it but im hoping people can get off the Microsoft hate bandwagon already and just move on.

As far as the update is concerned, I like the whole new menu options among other things that ive been reading about, but I missed my chance to get it sadly (Albeit I still could get the files), guess ill just have to wait for the actual update.

Ok, so first off, it has nothing to do with marketing, it would have to do with bug fixes. So I guess my argument would be invalid (whatever that means) to someone who completely missed the point. Secondly, and more importantly, I was being sarcastic. Next time I'll be sure to include a *wink* *wink* to help.
Sarcasm over the internet, brilliant! But the winking, genious! *wink* if you know what I mean *wink*

Of course im sure people are going to find another reason to hate Microsoft from it but im hoping people can get off the Microsoft hate bandwagon already and just move on.
Yes they will, don't you worry about it nor doubt it!

As far as the update is concerned, I like the whole new menu options among other things that ive been reading about, but I missed my chance to get it sadly (Albeit I still could get the files), guess ill just have to wait for the actual update.
What have you read so far? Could you share? I'm on corporate network and last refresh said something about techspot having malware... so... not fond on googling a ton here :p

Drove by the Microsoft store and hordes of "eager" users were lined up around the blocks in every direction, just like at the Apple stores during a faux release.

How come no one is talking about the fact that you MUST associate a Hotmail account when installing Windows 8???

When I received the 8.1 updated (for free) a few months ago, it took me a few restarts and like 20 minutes to figure out how NOT to register/associate an e-mail account with windows!

Doesn't this bother anyone?

How come no one is talking about the fact that you MUST associate a Hotmail account when installing Windows 8???

When I received the 8.1 updated (for free) a few months ago, it took me a few restarts and like 20 minutes to figure out how NOT to register/associate an e-mail account with windows!

I didn't think it was difficult to find, but it's not surprising that MS wants everyone to use a MS account and so they make that the most obvious route. It's kind of the norm these days to use an online account with your devices.

It's kind of the norm these days to use an online account with your devices.
Well... technically speaking you don't have to use a hotmail account, it's Live.

Asides from that, the whole idea introduced in W8 is to be able to use the same configuration in multiple machines, something missing before, for example I change config in desktop, it gets on the laptop without needing to switch it there. If you don't want to use it like that you just tell it to not synchronize certain things.

Also as Treeski said, it's not that hard to find.

Any email address can be registered as a Microsoft Live account. Prior to moving to Outlook.com I logged in with my G'Mail account.

If you are that dumb not to press NO when you set a new machine or hell go to options, you need to get farked

It was not an accident. I guarantee it.

Also ... the previous verification question was "Who develops the Android Operating System?" ???????????? WTF???

It would have been interesting to know the users experiences of the leaked update. Do the official statements from MS reflect the actual changes to the OS?

I don't really believe in "accidental leaks". it's either Microsoft deliberately leaked the update to generate buzz or it has a serious hole which needs to be plugged ASAP.
I am excited to install update 1 but I need to have the "official offline installer" so I can save bandwidth for the three windows 8.1 pro computers that needs updating.
( if true, ~700mb update 1 = :) )

I don't really believe in "accidental leaks". it's either Microsoft deliberately leaked the update to generate buzz or it has a serious hole which needs to be plugged ASAP.
I am excited to install update 1 but I need to have the "official offline installer" so I can save bandwidth for the three windows 8.1 pro computers that needs updating.
( if true, ~700mb update 1 = :) )

+1, they've been doing this for a long time and I assume that it wouldn't get to live status by itself

Back