Inactive Microsoft and AV sites not opening due to 127.0.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a laptop that cannot open any microsoft sites, or any AV sites.

I ran a virus check using MSE and it came up clean.
I installed Spybot S&D, it would not run, I managed to run it from the backup file it installs for instances such as this, and it came up clean too.

I have checked the host file and all that was in it was a bunch of entries added by Spybot S&D. I replaced it with a default host file and I still cannot open any AV sites.

If I ping these domains, I can see it is trying to reach 127.0.0.1

Can anyone advise on how to remove whatever is blocking these sites.

Thanks.

The 127.0.0.1 address NEVER routes to anything outside your system. The HOSTS file entries
with this address is a protection technique (ie these sites should not be access for whatever reason).

When we install an A/V product, this address is typically used for the web-proxy service which
operates like this:

Code:
browser or email - - - - - 127.0.0.1(Proxy Service)
                                  |
                           filter / protect access
                                  |
                                  +--- if allowed --------> ISP
                                                                        |
                            <---------------------------------+
If you are seeing errors on 127.0.0.1, investigate your A/V (uninstall / reinstall recommended)

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back