Microsoft briefly reveals 'Windows TH' as name for upcoming OS

Scorpus

Staff member

microsoft windows windows 9 developer preview windows threshold windows th

Update: It's official, Windows 10 release set for 2015.

Earlier today, Microsoft accidentally published their website detailing the impending Technical Preview of the next version of Windows, in the process revealing a new name for the OS. That name is 'Windows TH', as seen in the tabbed header alongside previous versions such as Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

It's entirely possible that this name is simply a placeholder for an official name that will be revealed in the future. However it is interesting that Microsoft didn't simply list the Technical Preview under 'Windows 9', a name that many people were expecting Microsoft would use for their next operating system release.

'TH' is likely short for 'Threshold', which is Microsoft's internal codename for the successor to Windows 8.1. The major update to Windows includes the return of the Start menu, numerous interface changes, virtual desktops, Cortana integration, and more. It's also expected to unify Microsoft's operating systems, combining Windows Phone, Windows RT, standard Windows and the Xbox OS into the one platform.

The page for the Windows Technical Preview for Enterprise, which has since been taken down, is being prepared ahead of Microsoft's event on Tuesday where the next version of Windows will be officially unveiled. It appears as though Microsoft will launch the Technical Preview shortly after the event, falling into an expected "October" launch timeframe.

Permalink to story.

Oops, I accidentally made a whole page about an upcoming version of Windows.
The page and relevant info has probably been ready for a while now but just on test servers, this might have just been accidentally pushed to live. It does actually happen since it is all done by humans and we are not perfect. Or did you really think the pages are made on the fly 5 minutes before going live?

I'm actually looking forward to it, I'm confident it'll be a winner like XP and 7 were and it has to be, M$ can't afford another vote of no confidence. Hopefully this new CEO isn't as big a chump as Ballmer was.

Theta for 'nine' seems 'ok'. Hope it comes with features I will want and not just a remix. Price will matter and any screwy 'rental' schemes will not be well regarded.

We'll see.

Apple Trash Bin meets Windows Trash Holder. The combination promises to keep all your trash together, at long last.

Better OS? Linux trash that has bugs from decades ago? Like Bash? And OpenSSL? There is no real alternative to Windows yet that is mainstream and actually works instead of recompiling packages all day with proper support for 100% of devices that have decent drivers.

Obvious;ly stands for Th Toms Hardware, the greatest Tech review site the world has ever seen.
Amirite? *nerd*

Back