Microsoft confirms October 26 launch date for Surface tablet

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has confirmed its Surface tablet will land alongside Windows 8 on October 26. Although the company had hinted at a simultaneous launch in the past, this is the first time they’ve actually confirmed a specific date. It should be noted that only the ARM-based Surface for Windows RT will be available at this time, as the Intel-based Surface Pro is slated to launch about three months later.

Microsoft has yet to officially announce pricing, too. During the official announcement back in June, the company only said  that the Windows 8 Pro Surface will be competitive with ultrabooks (~$800+) and the Windows 8 RT Surface with ARM tablets (~$400-$600).

The tablet features a 10.6-inch Gorilla Glass display and is said to be the first PC with a vapor-deposited magnesium chassis, which is described by Microsoft as being "rigid" yet "light" and "natural in the hands." It features a seamlessly integrated kickstand that lets you rest the device on a table without an accessory, and Microsoft will offer two covers that double as keyboards to enable laptop-like usage.

Here’s the full rundown of the specs that have been revealed so far for each Surface model:

Surface for Windows 8 Pro Surface for Windows 8 RT
OS Windows 8 Pro Windows 8 RT
Screen 10.6" 1920x1080 10.6" 1366x768
Processor Intel Core i5 22nm ARM-based Nvida
Storage 64GB, 128GB 32GB, 64GB
Thickness 13.5mm (0.53") 9.3mm (0.36")
Weight 903g (1.99lbs) 676g (1.49lbs)
Battery 42Wh 31.5Wh
Connectivity microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Other Pen support  
Accessories Touch Cover, Type Cover Touch Cover, Type Cover
Est. Price ~$800+ ~$400-$600

Permalink to story.

Has it been confirmed that these will only be available for sale in MS Stores? If so, they aren't going to make much, they don't have a store in every major city yet. Odd marketing ....

If only there was a magical place where anyone with an internet connection could go to purchase something... That would be cool.

I did hear from a good friend, Homer J Simpson, that they "have the internet on computers now." Maybe you guys are right, but it could just be rumor.

Has it been confirmed that these will only be available for sale in MS Stores? If so, they aren't going to make much, they don't have a store in every major city yet. Odd marketing ....

The only I problem I see with this is not being able to test the Touch & Type covers, too see which one feels best.

please just take out the RT
its not that hard
one will be called pro and the other nothing

please just take out the RT
its not that hard
one will be called pro and the other nothing
It is my understanding Windows RT is the first and only Windows OS to support Arm Processors.

If that is the case, why would they take out the RT version?

Back